Tiling on a sandy wall

Are they based on PVA? Ive asked this in the past and theres not been an answer, i dont know but would guess maybe.waterproof pva must exist. Some people honestly think pva is just a wood glue or school glue and should be used as such, im sure unibond only guarantee their products on top of their products. so if you used bal on top of unibond or visa versa the guarantee is void. put it in a fancy jar and give it a trendy name fools a lot of people but they are based on old methods. like ive said fairy liquid gets better and better every year so does pg and daz, never mind colgate. and heres a laugh vanish is getting even better, how can it? the point is they either do the job or they dont.

Sponsored Links
You could be wholly right, and without a breakdown of chemicals for each product we can only assume what the full make up of each product is.

Now I doubt any of us are qualified chemists so we can't say with any authority that any one product is better than another, based on that, we therefore have to take the advice of the people who produce it and use what they say is compatible.

What I was trying to impress is, PVA is wood glue in it's base form, as soon as you add another chemical to it it becomes something else and is no longer PVA. Joe's argument here is - well it's still PVA it just has another chemical in it.

The molecular make up of hydrogen is H, the molecular make up of say..Sulphuric acid is H2S04, based on Joe's theory of chemistry, Sulphuric acid is basically Hydrogen becasue it's based on it.

Nonsense argument.

I'm sorry Mudster but that makes little sense. Are you saying that if I add a waterproofer to mortar that it is no longer mortar? Well what is it then?

To my mind it is mortar with an additive. What do you call it?

Waterproof PVA is a product with an additive that stops the stuff reconstituting once dry - but it's still PVA.

Different paints have different additives to make them - well, 'different'.

So if you don't want to test it or use it or even read the label - aren't you better off not passing judgement on it?

joe

joe-90 said:
I'm sorry Mudster but that makes little sense.
Well, to be strictly accurate, it makes perfect sense. Moreover, your expression of sorrow is rather hollow.

joe-90 said:
Are you saying that if I add a waterproofer to mortar that it is no longer mortar? Well what is it then?

To my mind it is mortar with an additive. What do you call it?
You've already called it something different - "mortar with an additive".

joe-90 said:
Waterproof PVA is a product with an additive that stops the stuff reconstituting once dry - but it's still PVA.
Only to you, not to Mudster and, now, not to lots of other readers.

joe-90 said:
Different paints have different additives to make them - well, 'different'.

So if you don't want to test it or use it or even read the label - aren't you better off not passing judgement on it?
You keep saying that Mudster is passing judgement, and Mudster keeps saying that he isn't.

He isn't passing judgement, he is expressing a preference, which is to use the product that doesn't expose his business to a risk of a problem for which he can't claim from the manufacturer. This is a straightforward business decision, and either you can't understand or you refuse to understand. Either way, you're repeating yourself without introducing any new weight to your argument.

Sponsored Links
Softus. Why are you following me all over the forum 'waffling'? If mudster wants to take issue with what I've said - then let him do his own talking huh? And since when did you reperesent anyone in this forum apart from yourself?

When Mudster has finished his porridge, Sorry it won't be porridge if he adds sugar and milk. When Mudster has finished whatever it is he's eating, I'm sure he'll reply.

Now Softus. Before you start issuing abuse (as you usually do), why don't you actually join the discussion as a real poster and not a commentator?

joe

joe-90 said:
Softus. Why are you following me all over the forum 'waffling'? If mudster wants to take issue with what I've said - then let him do his own talking huh? And since when did you reperesent anyone in this forum apart from yourself? [etc. etc.]
Very well joe - here's a post, and a postulate, for you. I believe that you have a genuine reading disorder. Is it not something that can be addressed with professional help?

As for technical input, I don't have any because I want to learn from what Mudster is writing; I have a vested interest in the information because I've just been given a contract to tile 20 bathrooms. I want the discussion to move past the point that you just keep repeating yourself - so you want to keep calling PVA PVA, and you want everyone else to as well. So what? For some reason you won't accept that you and Mudster have different opionions. Move on joe.

As for waffling, I'm busy to answer that because I have to go and break up a fight between a kettle and a pot over who is the blackest.

There's also a tinge of paranoia coming through if you think someone is following you. I have every right to commentate, and will exercise that right if I so wish. I don't represent anyone else, but on this topic I stand patiently in line behind the marching banner of sanity. You could join us joe - it's great over here....

Softus said:
joe-90 said:
Softus. Why are you following me all over the forum 'waffling'? If mudster wants to take issue with what I've said - then let him do his own talking huh? And since when did you reperesent anyone in this forum apart from yourself? [etc. etc.]
Very well joe - here's a post, and a postulate, for you. I believe that you have a genuine reading disorder. Is it not something that can be addressed with professional help?

As for technical input, I don't have any because I want to learn from what Mudster is writing; I have a vested interest in the information because I've just been given a contract to tile 20 bathrooms. I want the discussion to move past the point that you just keep repeating yourself - so you want to keep calling PVA PVA, and you want everyone else to as well. So what? For some reason you won't accept that you and Mudster have different opionions. Move on joe.

As for waffling, I'm busy to answer that because I have to go and break up a fight between a kettle and a pot over who is the blackest.

There's also a tinge of paranoia coming through if you think someone is following you. I have every right to commentate, and will exercise that right if I so wish. I don't represent anyone else, but on this topic I stand patiently in line behind the marching banner of sanity. You could join us joe - it's great over here....

More waffle. You could have the contract for 1000 bathrooms if you wish. It's the Internet mate - be who you want to be.

See you in another topic - you'll keep on tagging along waffling.

joe

joe-90 said:
Softus said:
joe-90 said:
More waffle. You could have the contract for 1000 bathrooms if you wish. It's the Internet mate - be who you want to be.

See you in another topic - you'll keep on tagging along waffling.
joe, maybe I should have said 'some' bathrooms, because you seem to have taken my post as an attempt to show off - it wasn't. I'm explaining my point of view, which is that I have an interest in listening when I don't know anything.

I am where I want to be - thank you for your concern.

Thanks empip - you have a point.

This topic has reached it's natural conclusion, it's a forum where we can have a discussion from each persons point of view, the readers can make up their own minds from the conversation thread.

empip's link is interesting, it's the third time someone has linked that to me during similar conversations, and I've actually written to the guy to find out on what He basis his information.

Be interesting to see his reply, which I'll post if He agrees to my doing so.

Softus said:
I have an interest in listening when I don't know anything.

Well you certainly have lot of listening to do then. :LOL:

joe

Mudster said:
empip's link is interesting, it's the third time someone has linked that to me during similar conversations, and I've actually written to the guy to find out on what He basis his information.

Be interesting to see his reply, which I'll post if He agrees to my doing so.
I've already done that :!:

Will let you know if I hear anything :D

I actually don't expect to recieve a reply from this guy, but I'm genuinely interested to hear what He says.

At the risk of appearing to insert a blatant plug, this is what I do if any of you were at all curious.

www.atstone.co.uk

Mudster said:
...this is what I do if any of you were at all curious.
Nice product / snappy web site!
I'll be in touch as soon as I need some of your wares :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back