Tiling on a sandy wall

I daresay they called it Waterproof PVA because it does what PVA does - but is waterproof to boot.

You, however, have said that a chemical cannot be water souble yet waterproof when dry - but you've backed off from that I see.

joe

Sponsored Links
I can hardly wait for joe's reply to this one. It's gonna be good.

joe-90 said:
I daresay they called it Waterproof PVA because it does what PVA does - but is waterproof to boot.

You, however, have said that a chemical cannot be water souble yet waterproof when dry - but you've backed off from that I see.

joe

http://www.thistothat.com/glue/pva.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_acetate

Feel free to read any of the above for a second opinion, then decide if what you are using is actually PVA or if you are in fact using it correctly.

Sponsored Links
Mudster said:
joe-90 said:

joe

http://www.thistothat.com/glue/pva.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_acetate

Feel free to read any of the above for a second opinion, then decide if what you are using is actually PVA or if you are in fact using it correctly.

this was on the top link "What about concrete?
Concrete is a commonly requested material. To be honest, we don't know much about gluing to concrete. You could check with some building sites. Cement is the adhesive that holds concrete together. It will take some research on our part but we are thinking about doing concrete.

so that says it all, the guarantee is void if you go over any other product is said on the back of most things,and we know why. Im sure someone would of got onto this con about waterproof PVA especially diy stores,and the patent office. If you agree with what it says on the back of any bal product why not PVA?

so that says it all, the guarantee is void if you go over any other product is said on the back of most things,and we know why. Im sure someone would of got onto this con about waterproof PVA especially diy stores,and the patent office. If you agree with what it says on the back of any bal product why not PVA?

Sorry I really don't understand what your saying here, rephrase the question so it makes sense please.

Mudster said:

Sorry I really don't understand what your saying here, rephrase the question so it makes sense please.

which bit dont you understand?

Ahh right now I understand....

Because wickes seem to be the only retailler of PVA that claims to be waterproof, phone Unibond and ask them if their PVA will provide a waterproof barrier, in fact phone any of them and see what they say.

In fact phone Wickes and get them to put in writing that their PVA will provide a waterproof barrier.

Mudster said:

Because wickes seem to be the only retailler of PVA that claims to be waterproof, phone Unibond and ask them if their PVA will provide a waterproof barrier, in fact phone any of them and see what they say.

In fact phone Wickes and get them to put in writing that their PVA will provide a waterproof barrier.

It's in writing on every single label. What's more I've left it in water for hours on end and it stays waterproof.
If they can make waterproof external coatings - it should be a simple matter to treat PVA likewise. Don't arue from a point of ignorance - get a bottle and try it. The BAL product is mainly PVA too - with a bit of a tweak.

joe

Mudster said:

Have you phoned them?and what did they say? Im pretty sure when i was in wikes the other week the waterproof pva was unibond. I might be wrong but im pretty sure and there definetly is a waterproof pva in there.

Then feel free to use it if you're fine with it.

What I'm trying to get across is, PVA isn't waterproof.

Wickes generally sell their own brand products.

And I have no need to phone them, I know PVA isnt waterproof, or provide a waterproof barrier.

If they choose to market a different product and call it waterproff PVA than thats up to them, but they are misleading people with the description.

You are both free to use whatever you like to prime a surafce before you tile, that's the wonder of living a democratic society.

Personally I wouldn't touch the stuff, I've seen so many failures over the years, and had the chemical reasons explained to me why it doesn't and can't work by enough people to convince me that you may as well be priming with golden syrup as PVA.

Mudster said:
Then feel free to use it if you're fine with it.

What I'm trying to get across is, PVA isn't waterproof.

Wickes generally sell their own brand products.

And I have no need to phone them, I know PVA isnt waterproof, or provide a waterproof barrier.

If they choose to market a different product and call it waterproff PVA than thats up to them, but they are misleading people with the description.

You are both free to use whatever you like to prime a surafce before you tile, that's the wonder of living a democratic society.

Personally I wouldn't touch the stuff, I've seen so many failures over the years, and had the chemical reasons explained to me why it doesn't and can't work by enough people to convince me that you may as well be priming with golden syrup as PVA.

What do you think the BAL sealent is based on?
You believe what you want to.
When you've tried and tested the stuff (as I have) you might get a better idea of what it's like. Until that time - you are just writing words that have no meaning.

joe

Mudster said:
http://www.unibond.co.uk/unibond/pdf/pva.pdf

There is a link to the unibond site providing technical specs of PVA.

Feel free to read, no where does it state it is waterproof, it also states clearly it is for internal use only.

The Wickes stuff has been formulated for EXTERNAL use. Go in the shop and buy a bottle and try it. Suck it and see. Why do you think it beyong the ability of man to place an additive in there that makes it waterproof? After all, BAL did it didn't they?

joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back