Orange Sandy mixture behind paster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having removed tiles from a partial tiled wall in the kitchen. I am left with an area of about 6 foot long by 2 foot in height where the tiles have taken the plaster of the wall. I am left with an orange sandy substance that when rubbed the grains of sand falls away. This orange sandy stuff is about ¼ to ½ an deep. Behind it is a no fines ‘wimpy’ construction wall. First of all what is this orange sandy mixture? Can I re plaster on top of this to make the 6*2 area good or do I have to remove this orange sand stuff?
The rest of the plaster in the kitchen is in good nick. So I will only be working in this small area,
Thanks in advance for the help.

Sponsored Links
sounds like a sand/lime mix plaster although im surprissed to see it in a newish house :eek: . PVA and go for it lad. That assuming its solid and not falling off the wall.

Skim over with multi finish

Round here they do a sand and cement backing coat with hardwall finish plaster on top. It comes out greyish but may depend on local sand materials. In Somerset it's reddish.

Not keen on sand and cement backing Unless there is a specific need for it (tanking and so on) Ok its cheaper than conventional plaster but i find it makes the walls feel cold.

I find it heavy stuff to work with. Rather used Bonding, Browning Or as you say hardwall. Although, never seen harwall used as a finish topcoat ? Thats a new one to me :confused:

Then again, ANYTHING including weetabix is better than bloody drylining

Sponsored Links
Looks like i can just plaster on top of this then. I shall be doing this tonight any last minute tips?

Ensure you give it a good coat of 3.1 water mixed with pva let it dry then give it another, wait till tacky then away you go.

Dont play with the first coat, just get it on. Give it a good coat then once all the area is covered, give it another coat. Have a cup of tea then trowel it up and finaly give it a bit of a polish if you are painting it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back