Tiling on top of paving bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am new to the forum so i hope to chat with you all quite a lot in the future.

Looking for some good advice regarding tiling my back yard with either
exterior tiles or suitable interior type tiles.
My questions are, is it possible to do it over the existing paving bricks and if not what base do i have to lay in preparation to lay the tiles.
also what are the quantities i need of materials in order to do this base if the size is 2.5m x 4.5m x thickness?

Best regards

Busby123

Sponsored Links
A photo of the surface may help, but do you mean block paving?

The main thing when tiling outside is to use a solid bed method of fixing, this stops pools of water forming under the tiles, which then freezes and pops the tile up. Block paving would tend to be a bad surface for tiling over because its designed to allow the drainage\passage of water through it. Secondly, lots of paving is laid badly and sinks over time.

Really you need a concrete base to lay onto

A photo of the surface may help, but do you mean block paving?

The main thing when tiling outside is to use a solid bed method of fixing, this stops pools of water forming under the tiles, which then freezes and pops the tile up. Block paving would tend to be a bad surface for tiling over because its designed to allow the drainage\passage of water through it. Secondly, lots of paving is laid badly and sinks over time.

Really you need a concrete base to lay onto

I am with TPT on this, on the few I have done, also a large patio area at my caravan, I took up existing flags, dug the ground out about 5 inches and laid a semi dry concrete mix, screeded it to tile onto, perfectly flat, no pooling, no problems, just a good bit graft and no cutting corners

Hi all

Thanks to tpt and jctilingservices.

I will try and submit a picture when i figure out how but in the meantime
i feel that what you have both said is a fair comment and a sensible plan.
There is nor must chance of the ground freezing in my case as i live in
South Africa on the coast actually so it more probe to moisture and rain.

If as you say i need a concrete base can you advise on the thickness and
the mixture i need to buy and the proportions of the mix.

Hope you guys can help and i really do appreciate it.

Best regards Busby

Sponsored Links
hi Busby
personally I would go no lower than 5 inches, for a mix I would opt for a 4,3,1 mix and I would also add a frost proofer to the mix

You will want to shutter the area off first with exterior wood min 125mm thick.
You will need a base off 50mm thick hardcore(compacted)..
Cover with a dpm (damp proof membrane)...
Then screed it with at least 75 mm ..
Screed mix 5/1/1
Mix:5 sharp sand(washed)
1 cement
1 water
You can add one cup off sbr or waterproofer to each mix,you will use buckets to measure each mix...

You can then get your shuttering all square and level to a height off min 75mm then pour your screed then when setting/curing use a straight bit off wood and tamper/run across to level off then finish off using a devil float...

If you haven't done this sort off work before and your not fit!! Maybe look to employ someone

As for tiles you will want a good graded one for exterior and not interior one
Shop around...what you pay for is....what you get...

Hi and thanks to you both tictac & jctilingservices.
I have taken all your advice in but first i will have to take all the paving bricks up and the prepare the ground, from there i can see what i am left with.
How do i work out the quantities of materials to buy if the area is 4.5m x 2.5m x 125mm thick (15ft x 8ft x 5in)

Thanks again

Best regards

Busby

For that size off area you will want to get the screed delivered and either pumped in or poured in with wheel barrow mate...

Your talking about just under 2tonne..ie..just under 9m3(9 cubic metre)

Would be cheaper and faster doing it this way than mixing and pouring yourself...

So you want to prep area in question first...what kind off soil is it...clay ect...
Then 50mm compacted hardcore(compacted is when you use a whacker plate machine)...to compact and level..

Then a dpm then get your shuttering all square and level then pour your mix,level off then devil float

Leave to cure....so for every 1mm you leave a day..so min 75days before any work commences...

Ps
For future reference when calculating screed...

Width in metres X lenthg in metres X depth in millimetres ..... ;)

Can anyone recommend a software tool for creating complex multi-color compositions of the paving bricks?

Can anyone recommend a software tool for creating complex multi-color compositions of the paving bricks?
Accidentally bumped to my old question in the forum. If anyone would be interested I'd found answer by myself.

Last year I was advised to a small but helpful tiles design builder. It is called “Paving Design Expert”. You can download it from http://paving-expert.com

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back