Tiling on uneven surface

OJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed an old bathroom suite and all the old wall tiles.

In a lot of places, the tiles have taken the thin layer of finish with it, exposing rendered wall.

Can I stick the new tiles on that surface, or do I need the walls levelled, or worse still, re-skimmed first?

Thanks,

OJ

Sponsored Links
might be worth a photo or two. if its just small patches you can prime with an sbr primer and fix over the top, or fill using a finishing plaster or tile adh, then prime and fix. HOWEVER....if the finish is coming off in patches when removing the old tiles, you should perhaps wonder about the rest of the plaster - often in these cases if you start testing the plaster in the surrounding areas it will come off easily. remember, your tiles are stuck to the plaster, if thats not stuck to much, then your tiles aren't either!

BTW, if the skim is coming off easily, but the render is sound (and i do mean sound!) you can sometimes be better off taking the skim off and priming and tiling directly onto the render - be warned though its not often that the render is sound all over!

Agree with everything TPT has said & you need a flat tile base but if you start patching with plaster, you will have to wait for it to dry/set before tiling; around 10 days for a skim. It’s usually better to fill with cement powder adhesive or quickset render if time is an issue; as said, better to tile onto render but it must be sound.

What size/weight tiles are you proposing? it could dictate what you do next. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back