Re-tiling bathroom walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have started to remove an old bathroom suite, and all the old bathroom wall tiles.

In a lot of places, the grout/tiles, have taken the thin layer (2mm) of finish with it, exposing (roughed-up) rendered wall.

My question is - can I put new tiles on that surface, after applying PVA, or do I need the walls re-skimmed first?

Thanks in advance,

Lucky Lucy.

Sponsored Links
You need to get the tile base level/flat again before tiling or your new tiles will most likely look awful, especially large ones. The best way to do this is to use a powder based tile adhesive to fill/level out (which you will need if your new tiles are larger than around 250mm anyway). This can be tiled over next day, if you re-skim with plaster, you will have to wait 10-14 days for it to dry. If your hanging large format tiles, it may not be suitable anyway as plaster will only take 20 kg/sqm including the addy/grout weight.

Read the tiling Forum Sticky & the Forum Archive posts before you do any more or buy any materials, it may save you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes, come back if you need further advice.

NEVER EVER use PVA when tiling, use only an acrylic or SBR based primer/bonding agent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back