tiling on wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
all my tiles are popping off my wooden floor, first they made a grating sound then they have come loose. I retiled using a flexible adhesive but that's not worked either .

when I lift a tile up the adhesive has stuck to the tile and its not touched the floor at all
I used osb chipboard and mapei flexible adhesive, not the premade stuff

the onlt thing I ve not done is primer, would this be the cause ?

please help

Sponsored Links
No its unlikely to be down to the primer. 2 likely causes 1. the chipboard is waxed\coated (its usually green) or 2. there is too much movement.

TBH chipboard is am awful base for tiling.

Assuming the floor isn't bouncing and its all screwed down well, overboard it with no more ply or hardie backer, then tile onto that

Problem with raising the height of the FFL is that it can create difficulties at the door threshold.

And tile will then have to go up to the fixtures and bath panel, or under them.
Going under will involve lifting the fixtures: for example, lift the WC and perhaps have to alter its soil pipe connection.

OP, perhaps you incorrectly mixed the powdered adhesive. Strictly follow the instructions, and check the sell-by date.The adhesive is its own best primer: with the flat edge of a metal trowel, force a very tight skin of adhesive down, almost like a painted on coat of adhesive, allow to go tacky, and then begin to comb spread and lay.

Practice this in a corner with a couple of tile.

Or, as above: the c/board can buckle if its not well screwed down. Moisture in the adhesive will cause the top side to expand if poor fixing allows it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back