tiling onto board for shower area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When removing a section of old tiles around shower about 1M square, in order to replace them with mirror tiles, the old plaster has now come way from the wall.

So in order to get the backing behind the tiles to the right level before retiling, i was thinking of screwing MDF or simillar board to the bricks as a backer to the tiles.

It says on my Unibond to wall adhesive that timber must be sealed with solvent based primer. (it doesnt say if this is suitable for a shower area or not)

So could someone tell me, if my propsed solution would be ok, or if they have any better suggestions....

Any replies gratefuly received....

Sponsored Links
You'd be better off with a tile backer board (wedi or marmox or similar) these would be less likely to warp if they got damp and the tiles should bond better to them without a primer.Not sure about unibond adhesive I'd make sure its a class AA and also check with the supplier of the mirror tiles as I have seen adhesive take the silvery backing off mirrors.
Whichever adhesive you choose try to get full coverage on the back of the tile,and use a waterproof flexible grout

Thanks for the reply. From what yourself and other posters say on simillar threads it seems either cement boards or tanked plasterboard is the way to go.

If you need tugsten circular saws to cut the cement backer boards im tempted to go with plaster board TBH.

Sponsored Links
You dont if you use wedi or marmox or something similar they cut easy with a stanley knife even the hardibacker or no more ply will cut with a knife or saw if its just a one off job no need for the special tool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back