Tiling onto Impey tilesafe tanking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody help please. I am in the process of constructing a wetroom area and have tanked the shower area with RIW Impey Tilesafe membrane. So far so good. I fixed a batten and tiled above with 600 x 300mm porcelain tiles. Even if I say so myself, the finish looked great with all tiles straight and plumb, and grout lines matched up exactly. The tiles had been in place about 30/ 32 hrs when I removed the batten to complete the bottom row of tiles. Within seconds I watched in horror as the whole wall of tiles slipped down to the bottom. When I removed the tiles (having wiped away my tears) I could see that the adhesive was still very soft, pretty much as it had been when I put it on. Can anyone explain what has happened here? Is it simply a case of not leaving the adhesive long enough to set considering the weight of the tiles or is the problem something to do with the Tilesafe tanking? I didn't have this slippage problem when I tiled onto finish plaster in the same room. I would appreciate anyones views or ideas. Thanks.
Alanfrank

Sponsored Links
What type and brand of adhesive did you use?
was it in a tub or bag?

It could be that it isn't designed for large format tiles and as a result will refuse to go off at all...

K

Yes sounds like tub adhesive. I've used the Impey trays with tilesafe a few times and powdered usually sticks like S**t to a blanket.

Jason

Sounds like you may have used tub mix adhesive; use powder addy only with tiles above around 250mm. Powder addy is chemical cure, tub addy is evaporative cure & it will never set under large format tiles, as you have discovered.

Make sure you use quality trade products suitable for you tiles & tile base, cheap DIY products are mostly crap.

Take some time out to read the Tiling Forum Sticky & Archive posts, it may prevent you making further mistakes.

Sponsored Links
What type and brand of adhesive did you use?
was it in a tub or bag?

It could be that it isn't designed for large format tiles and as a result will refuse to go off at all...

K
Thanks for that. I started the job with powdered adhesive and switched to the tub stuff on the advice of my local builders merchants!!! Back to powder then. Cheers.

On a more positive note, at least it'll be nice and easy to scrape the adhesive off the tiles... :confused:

I'd like to be a fly on the wall the next time you pop into your local builder's merchants :!:

K

Sounds like you may have used tub mix adhesive; use powder addy only with tiles above around 250mm. Powder addy is chemical cure, tub addy is evaporative cure & it will never set under large format tiles, as you have discovered.

Make sure you use quality trade products suitable for you tiles & tile base, cheap DIY products are mostly crap.

Take some time out to read the Tiling Forum Sticky & Archive posts, it may prevent you making further mistakes.

Richard, Thanks. You are spot on. I did use tub adhesive for that section of the wall I was convinced by my local builders merchant that it would do the job. I will try again using the powdered addy. Cheers

Yes sounds like tub adhesive. I've used the Impey trays with tilesafe a few times and powdered usually sticks like S**t to a blanket.

Jason
Jason,
Like Richard and Mypetearthling youve nailed it. I changed to tub adhesive for that section and that was the result. I've scraped and rubbed most of the tub adhesive off the the tilesafe membrane, is the tanking now compromised or can I go again with proper powdered adhesive?
Thanks Alanfrank

On a more positive note, at least it'll be nice and easy to scrape the adhesive off the tiles... :confused:

I'd like to be a fly on the wall the next time you pop into your local builder's merchants :!:

K
Yeah right again. The adhesive came off no problem when I used the jet washer on them. Only problem now is you might read a forum query from my next door neighbour asking how to get watered down tile adhesive off car paintwork!

Go to a trade tile outlet not a Builders Merchant, mostly they won’t have a clue. Remember quality addy & grout, not Unibomb or you could end up taking them down again a second time.

Topps stock BAL but are notoriously expensive to DIY, but you can usually get a trade discount if you haggle & look the part.

Let the back of the tiles dry out before you attempt to re-lay or the addhesive wot grab properly & they may end up sliding down the wall again.

Go to a trade tile outlet not a Builders Merchant, mostly they won’t have a clue. Remember quality addy & grout, not Unibomb or you could end up taking them down again a second time.

Topps stock BAL but are notoriously expensive to DIY, but you can usually get a trade discount if you haggle & look the part.

Let the back of the tiles dry out before you attempt to re-lay or the addhesive wot grab properly & they may end up sliding down the wall again.
Thanks again Richard. I'll try Topps and try to blag it but to be honest I don't mind paying full amount if its going to do the job. I appreciate you taking the time to help.
Alanfrank

I've scraped and rubbed most of the tub adhesive off the the tilesafe membrane, is the tanking now compromised or can I go again with proper powdered adhesive?
Thanks Alanfrank

Provided you have not punctured the membrain with your scraping it will still be intact.

The big question is are you going to get a good bond to it? They make a big point about keeping the cover film on the surface until you are due to tile to keep the tacky surface clean. You have now got a thin film of dusty tub adhesive between the membrain and the new adhesive. I would ring RIW tech department and see what they suggest, you may need to apply a sealer or primer.

When you come to tile the floor to the falls layout all the tiles before sticking anything down as this will give you plenty of time to get all the tile joints spot on. Done right and you should hardly be able to see the diagonal cuts like this

J

Jason

I've scraped and rubbed most of the tub adhesive off the the tilesafe membrane, is the tanking now compromised or can I go again with proper powdered adhesive?
Thanks Alanfrank

Provided you have not punctured the membrain with your scraping it will still be intact.

The big question is are you going to get a good bond to it? They make a big point about keeping the cover film on the surface until you are due to tile to keep the tacky surface clean. You have now got a thin film of dusty tub adhesive between the membrain and the new adhesive. I would ring RIW tech department and see what they suggest, you may need to apply a sealer or primer.

When you come to tile the floor to the falls layout all the tiles before sticking anything down as this will give you plenty of time to get all the tile joints spot on. Done right and you should hardly be able to see the diagonal cuts like this

J

Jason
Hi Jason,
It was whether the new adhesive would bond to the membrane that was my worry. I guess you're right, the only people able to give a conclusive answer would be RIW. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks for the advice on the floor tiles. I'm using 1" mosaic on the floor of the shower so that should make for some interesting times with my tile cutter! Hey pretty impressive work in the pictures by the way. If you were more local I'd pay you to sort out my amateur efforts.
Thanks again
Alanfrank

Can somebody help please. I am in the process of constructing a wetroom area and have tanked the shower area with RIW Impey Tilesafe membrane. So far so good. I fixed a batten and tiled above with 600 x 300mm porcelain tiles. Even if I say so myself, the finish looked great with all tiles straight and plumb, and grout lines matched up exactly. The tiles had been in place about 30/ 32 hrs when I removed the batten to complete the bottom row of tiles. Within seconds I watched in horror as the whole wall of tiles slipped down to the bottom. When I removed the tiles (having wiped away my tears) I could see that the adhesive was still very soft, pretty much as it had been when I put it on. Can anyone explain what has happened here? Is it simply a case of not leaving the adhesive long enough to set considering the weight of the tiles or is the problem something to do with the Tilesafe tanking? I didn't have this slippage problem when I tiled onto finish plaster in the same room. I would appreciate anyones views or ideas. Thanks.
Alanfrank

i'm looking an off-cut - wander if you have tile safe left over? thanks.

btw hope you got over the adhesive problem - i'll shortly be tiling......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back