Tiling onto Ply floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any recommendations/advice regarding tiling onto a ply floor? Bathroom area to be tiled is 3 square metres and at the moment is approx 25mm below the floor outside the entrance of the door. I'm thinking of laying 12mm sheath ply and then tile onto to that to bring the floor to nearly level with the floor outside the bathroom

Sponsored Links
The recommended way is not to tile onto ply. By a tile backer floorboard. Although have tiled on ply floors before just make sure it's flexible adeshive with a separate admixture to make sure it's properly flexible. And the same with grout.

What is the current flooring? is it tongue and groove or chipboard?

Sponsored Links
You can tile directly over a suitable thickness ply floor or overboard & its standard practice with suspended timber floors in anything other than a wet room but it must be WBP not standard ply. I would, however, be wary of laying ply over a concrete floor as a tile base, in this case you’d be better off laying down a suitable SLC or fixing a suitable thickness waterproof backer board to bring the floor level up.

Will the tiling stop at the entrance to the bathroom or is it intended to tile through the entire area?

I'd agree with richard on this one. SLC.

We have had some really great feedback on granfix fibreflex just lately and this can go up to 50mm thick. just straight over the existing base.

Another option backerboard, fixed down with tile adhesive, but the above should be much easier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back