Bathroom Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed the old floor tiles from my bathroom., It appears the boards were tiled straight onto rather than using ply or anything else. My question is, can I overboard with 12mm ply or 6mm tile backer board, or is it easier to rip them up & use 25mm ply & tile straight onto that. I have scraped the boards & there is a little residue on some of the boards but not horrendous. BY the way I am using 2ft x2ft porcelain tiles.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
if o/boarding with wbp or b/boards the exsisting will have to be deflection free..(depends on condition of these boards tho)

or rip up and board out with either 22-25mm wbp ply primed underside/edges...again deflection free..

thats big tiles there for a bathroom floor what size of area is it... ;)

Thanks, I thought that would be the best way, I will go down the ply route.
Will PVA be suitable for the edges & underneath?

Sponsored Links
Correct Paul he could also use Bal APD, or any acrylic primer really, but as you say, definately not PVA

Just to add, use a pro flexible tile adhesive and flexible grout, not some thing like the crap B&Q sell

What is the current floor made of? I usually always favor ripping it all out & laying new WBP ply floor of an appropriate thickness, that way I know there will be no problems or comebacks (when correctly done). It also keeps the door threshold at a reasonable height.

Floorboards are down but as I said there is some tile adhesive residue on them. I will take them up & put wpb down. Thanks for the advice about the adhesive.....
Thanks to all for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back