Tiling onwood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a good, sound and dry concrete floor to tile. I need to raise the level to meet an adjoining floor (also tiles).
The easiest way for me is to screw down WBP ply.

Simple question for the experts: Provided I use top quality adhesive and grout (Bal flexible), will I get as good a job as on concrete; adhesion, durability etc?

Many thanks, Stan

Sponsored Links
IMO there are far easier\better (and prob cheaper) ways to achieve what you need. How much do you need to come up, and how big is the area?

IS the concrete a new(ish) floor with a damp proof membrane?

Hello, thanks for your reply.

The floor is 100 mm over membrane over 200 mm well compacted hardcore. It has been down for some two years and is dry as a bone.

I need to come up nearly an inch. I am rekuctant to use a self levelling compound for two reasons: (1) have never used one and (2) my eyesight is poor and not good enough to float out a screed.

The area is around 25 m2.

Coming up an inch isn't an issue for the newer self levellers. granfix fibreflex can come up to 50mm in one go, and its great stuff to use. That said, you'd need a lot of it! you wouldnt need to float it out like you would a screed, you pour and guide it, and sometimes use a spiked roller to pop bubble.

if you want to use ply, the issues is fixing it down well enough - any flexing or movement will cause an issue. You'd end up screwing it down every 200mm or so so it may take a while. Assuming its well fixed and solid, you can tile over ply fine using a flexible single part adhesive. The key to it being durable is how well you'd fix the ply down.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back