tiling shower problem

ptd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Novice diyer but have two bathrooms so thought i'll attack one and if it takes ages, no big problem.
But now i've a problem.
I'm doing the shower enclosure, there were three tiled walls (two room walls - one stud and one breezeblock - and one stud wall off the breeze, going half way into the bathroom to make a 3-sided enclosure). Hope that makes sense.
Removed all tiles and plasterboard behind had rotted somewhat, house built 1980 and probably first diy. So removed plasterboard back to stud wall, and took out stud wall coming in to the room as we're going to fit a quadrant shower.
Here is the problem. The breeze block wall doesn't have plasterboard on, it has a 1cm or so layer of dense concrete and then plaster has been applied to this. It is not at all level, being thicker at the bottom of the wall by about 7mm.
Also where the stud wall came in to this wall for the old enclosure, the timber was against the breezeblock so there is nothing here leaving a large gap (~7.5cm) between the concrete of the old enclosure and the concrete on the other side of where the timber was. This other concrete which is plaster is also 3mm thinner than from the old enclosure.
What do I do to make everything nice and level?
I don't want to take the concrete slab off because the breezeblock is an internal wall and i'd hate to damage that.
Sorry about the long message but advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can you re-plaster the whole lot to bring it all level? some pictures would help if you can upload them

Congratulations, you have a properly plastered wall!

You will need some browning or bonding coat to bring the area which is down to the blocks up to almost level with the plaster, then some finish plaster on this.

Better advice will be available on the plastering section

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back