Whole tile in corner of shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of background, soon to start tiling a small 76x76 shower using 20cm wide tiles. This will be on a stud wall with hardiebacker cement board. There's only two tile walls, the others are the glass shower enclosure.

As the tiles are 20cm wide, I'd really like to start with a whole tile in the corner as when I fix the shower enclosure to the tiles, it would mean the enclosure would all almost right in the middle of a tile, which is nice for drilling the holes and fixing.

Is there anything wrong with starting with a whole tile? I understand that if the walls are out, this could be an issue, but I'll be building the stud wall myself and get it as level as possible before tiling.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply - so there's nothing inherently wrong with a whole tile in the corner? of course, I'll measure and draw a line to make sure it's all level.

i wouldnt of thought so.its your bathroom.as long as it looks good.

Sponsored Links
the only reason a full tile is avoided is to allow cuts to be used to absorb variations in the wall. if everything is perfectly square then there is no issue.

Thanks - it's going to be tiled on a (new) hardiebacker stud wall, so I'll make sure all is level and square as I go.

You wall is 760mm, and your tiles are 200mm plus spacers.

If you were to fix four tiles (and three spacers) across then it would be about 810mm, therefore you will need to cut about 50mm off the tiles at one end, ie approx a quarter of your tile... will this look ok with your particular tiles?

Alternatively cut 25mm off the tiles at both ends instead for a more balanced symmetrical look, but I do note you mention the enclosure fitting, so this might not be best for you.

I think having the corner as the centre would probably look best. The backerboard is being layed at roughly 80 x 80 which would also work well with the tiles (using just 2mm spacers). So think I will go with my plan, unless anyone tells me a reason why I'm being stupid :).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back