Shower Enclosure Re-Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am on a budget - let's start there!
My shower tiles are falling off (again) and the plasterboard behind it is also in a pretty bad way. The shower is in the corner with the wall tiles continuing along on both walls.

I was planning to replace the tiles in the shower enclosure section for budgetary reasons and create "an effect" at the same time - as the rest of the walls will have the old tiles. Can someone please check the following steps and provide some feedback/comment:

- I will initially remove the shower enclosure
- I will remove the tiles by using my multi-tool to scour a line in the grout that separates the tiles that need to be removed and those that will remain.
- I will then remove these tiles, along with the plasterboard behind it. How critical is it that this corner is perfectly square and plumb? I am concerned that it may not line up with the exiting walls.
- after fitting new plasterboard, I will re-tile this area and use a tile trim (recommendations on type/profile please?) to separate the old and new tiles
- tile and re-fit enclose. Do I start tiling in the middle of each of these wall sections?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The question to ask is why the tiles are coming off (again)?

If your plasterboard wasn't tanked, it's likely that the water is getting in behind the tiles, which is what's ruining the plasterboard.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like you want to be removing the old tiles and plasterboard, and replacing the plasterboard with some cement backing board (Hardie backer, aquapanel). Then tile back on to that.

RIP it all out and start again .
If tiles are failing maybe replace with shower panels , quick and easy .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back