Tiling straight on to render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the process of removing the tiles from my 1970's bathroom walls. I've got loads and loads of 4.25" ceramic 'birdy' tiles to remove. They're an absolute pain to get off as they have been put up using tile adhesive on a render background. What I'm finding is that the render will sooner come away from the blockwork than the tile from the plaster. Hence I've decided to strip back to the blockwork. Ultimately the plan is to convert this room to a wet room, tiled with 12mm thick 60x30 or 60x40 limestone tiles.

My question is, would it be ok to just have the room re-rendered and then once fully dry, tile with adhesive straight on to the render? Or is it best to have it rendered and then skimmed to a normal finish?

Obviously as this is a wet room I will be tanking the rendered walls before putting the tiles up (Maybe something like Bal WP1).

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Llama

Dry line the whole room with new plasterboard / cement backerboard and tank it accordingly (even the backerboard as cement is porous).Seal the tiles prior to fixing. fix the tiles, grout, and seal again.No need for skim coat with with appropiate BAL adhesives and grouts these days.uneccessary expense these days.

Thanks tiler jase.

I did consider a dot and dabbed plasterboard lining but was worried that it wouldn't cope with the weight of the tiles but if you reckon its up to the task I'll give it a go.

I'm interested to know the benefits of using aquapanel instead of plasterboard in this instance? I realise that aquapanel is whole lot more water resistant than plasterboard but that shouldn't matter in this case since both boards have got to be tanked and therefore neither should be getting wet.

By the way Bal WP1 ok for the walls? I'm using RIW Tilesafe on the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back