Preparing walls for tiling a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi !

I've taken out the old shower tray, and am putting in one twice the size.

I stripped off all the old tiles - and some of the skim-coat came too - AND some of the render, exposing the brickwork..

I've cut chases in the brickwork for the water pipes, and have filled the chases with spray foam topped by sand/cement render, which I've also used to replace the spalled render.

1. Should I skim this new rendering and the patches with polyfilla, or can I just leave the humble bits to be filled with grout ?

2. As the new tray is bigger, much of the walls to be tiled have previously been painted. Can I just leave this painted surface as it is, and tile over it ?

3. What primer should I use, over ALL the area to be tiled ? I have heard that I should use either BAL SPR or BAL WP1 or Ardex WPC, and Sandtex stabilising solution has also been suggested. What do YOU suggest ?

The new tiles are 200 x 250 glazed ceramic.

Sponsored Links
Hi !

I've taken out the old shower tray, and am putting in one twice the size.

I stripped off all the old tiles - and some of the skim-coat came too - AND some of the render, exposing the brickwork..

I've cut chases in the brickwork for the water pipes, and have filled the chases with spray foam topped by sand/cement render, which I've also used to replace the spalled render.

1. Should I skim this new rendering and the patches with polyfilla, or can I just leave the humble bits to be filled with grout ?

no need to skimm render.

if patches not to deep skimm it with a cement based addy.

2. As the new tray is bigger, much of the walls to be tiled have previously been painted. Can I just leave this painted surface as it is, and tile over it ?

score paint with a stanley blade.

3. What primer should I use, over ALL the area to be tiled ? I have heard that I should use either BAL SPR or BAL WP1 or Ardex WPC, and Sandtex stabilising solution has also been suggested. What do YOU suggest ?

bal primer/apd/sbr..or mapei primer G...
then a cement based addy(bagged).
The new tiles are 200 x 250 glazed ceramic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back