Ceramic tiles onto old, dry render.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. I’ve searched the forum to see if the question I am about to ask has been raised before by anyone else. I find that it has, but it didn’t get any replies!! I’m not sure if that’s because it’s such a dumb question, but here goes……… I am renovating a bathroom, and having removed old ceramic tiles from the ‘basin’ wall’ (ie no shower or bath against it) most of the plaster has come away, leaving the old sand/cement render visible. This was mainly due to the amount of adhesive previously used…there is no signs of damp. Question is, can I seal the render with pva or similar, and then tile directly onto it? I would like to avoid having the render plastered because of the time delay in the plaster fully drying out.
Any comments/advise would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Providing the render is not powdery, shows no signs of delaminating & is flat you can tile straight onto it. Do not use PVA as a primer, use an APD primer to kill the dust & help control suction but always follow the adhesive manufacturer’s recommendations regarding pre-treatment.

Thanks Richard. Sorry to ask, but what does APD stand for. I'm thinking 'All Purpose something'??

Sponsored Links
if its not a deep area you could skimm over it with a rapidset adhesive.

Thanks tictic. It's only about 8-10mm deep, and so I'm sure that would work ok. I'll price up the different options. Thanks to all.

It's only about 8-10mm deep
Finish skim is only around 3 thick so it sounds like you have also lost some of the render base, are you back to brick/block in some areas? If so & depending on the area involved, it may be better & certainly cheaper to rough fill the missing bits using a bag render redi-mix first but you must damp down the area first or the render won't stick.

Thanks Richard. No, not back to brick/block, but back to that dark, scored render (I call it render - might be a different name for it!!) onto which the plaster is 'floated'. Maybe I have the depth wrong - it's a buy to let property and I am not there at the moment. Will check and decide best way to go. Thanks again for your interest.

Old render is one of the best surfaces to tile onto, especially when it's nice and flat, fill the odd bits here and there with a cement based tile adhesive, the same one you use for the tiling. Prime walls first, I would use an APD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back