Tiling Surfaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all!

I'm currently in the process of renovating my bathroom, and I'm having trouble wading through all the options and opinions on wall surfaces for tiling. The room is 2.4m x 2.4m, 2 external solid brick walls, 1 plasterboard and 1 plaster and lath wall, upon removing tiles I've discovered the plaster isn't in great shape, so will need stripping and a new tiling surfaces fitting. First question - the plasterboard wall is in ok condition bar a few small holes, but is half painted, should I sand the paint down or just pull it down and reboard?

For the wall surfaces I'm thinking of using 20mm Marmox on the external walls and regular 12.5mm plasterboard on the internals, plasterboard will be primed (not PVA :) ) and tanked around the shower. Also the floorboards will be removed and replaced with 18/25mm WBP ply. I'm thinking aquaboard etc for the external walls is bad because of the risk of condensation forming behind them since it's not waterproof, Marmox is waterproof and better insulating so hopefully would stop condensation forming on the tiles too. Anyone have any thought/criticisms/recommendations?

Thanks for any advice, I'm sure you've answered these questions a thousand times!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back