tiling to damp walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone help!!

I have a layer of tiles that keep coming off the walls, even after leaving them for a week for the grout to go off. I am using combind adhesive and grout from B&Q and even after a few days that washes out.

We do know that the wall is damp behind the tiles but we have also ensured that this was dry before trying to atempt to fix them back on again.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a layer of tiles that keep coming off the walls, even after leaving them for a week for the grout to go off.
What size & type are the tiles & what is the wall base? Is this a complete re-tile job or are you just trying to replace the tiles falling off the wall?

I am using combind adhesive and grout from B&Q and even after a few days that washes out.
That’s probably the biggest cause of your problem, dump it in the nearest skip, it’s total crap. Answer the other questions & I should be able to advise what you need to do next & what to use.

We do know that the wall is damp behind the tiles but we have also ensured that this was dry before trying to atempt to fix them back on again.
Is it a solid external wall? Are you saying the wall is permanently damp or just damp as a result of fixing the tiles? Unfortunately you cannot tile onto a damp wall; that has to be cured first or they will never stay up there.

What size & type are the tiles & what is the wall base? Is this a complete re-tile job or are you just trying to replace the tiles falling off the wall?

Just replacing tiles, only inch, based along the edge of the bath

Is it a solid external wall? Are you saying the wall is permanently damp or just damp as a result of fixing the tiles? Unfortunately you cannot tile onto a damp wall; that has to be cured first or they will never stay up there.

Yes solid external wal which is not open to the eliments but can be damp in extreme weatherl, it's not permanently damp.

3 times now we have tried sorting it. So bye bye B & Q combind! :)

[/quote]

If it’s a solid external wall, can you explain why/how it’s not open to the elements?
Solid external walls tend to suffer damp migration but even if it’s only getting damp in extreme weather, you have to cure that first. If it’s damp in the wall, I would expect a general tile failure over the whole area rather than just the row immediately above the bath. Are you sure water is not getting in there? Is there an effective seal around the bath, silicone or otherwise? Another cause could be condensation or water getting in through the tiled area due to grout failure. How long ago were the tiles put up? If you’ve tried 3 times, over how long a period is this, have the tiles ever stayed put? So are the tiles you trying to stick back just 1 inch slips along the top of the bath?

Even with the best trade materials you cannot tile onto a damp wall, it has to be dried out thoroughly first (which can take weeks) & whatever is causing damp to get in must be permanently cured or you will have continuing problems. If the grout in the tiled area has failed generally & allowing water in, the only way of eradicating it might be to strip a larger area or even the lot, allow the wall to dry out thoroughly, then re-tile using decent materials.

Sponsored Links
It has a shed built off from the external wall. So the wall is covered. It is raising damp I would think. We have used a dehumidifer all the time to dry out the wall.

All the seals were ok, there were plenty of silicone around the bath
The tiles have been up there for years and the surrounding ones are ok just these ones.

I am 100% sure no water is getting in as like I said even left for a week and you only have to have 1 shower and away they come again

New tiling adhesive & grout in a wet area must be left for 10 days before it’s subject to water or there is a risk it will fail. It may be that the water from your shower is just washing away the crap, all in one addy/grout you’ve been using. You could try drying it all off again. fix with some decent adhesive, leave overnight & grout. What is the wall surface under the tiles, plaster, plasterboard, brick? Is it painted & if so with what? Have you been putting PVA or anything else on the wall before you tile?

There are theories as to weather or not there is such a thing as rising damp but we won’t go there. In any case, damp will only “wick” up the wall to a certain height, is your bathroom on the ground or first floor? If first floor, water won’t wick up that high unless it’s getting in from the shed roof; are you sure there isn’t a problem there or the flashing is not feeding water directly into the wall? If water is not getting in around the bath it’s got to be getting in somewhere & if it is water penetration or rising damp, you’re most likely to end up with the same result in the not too distant future.

if the walls were try when tiles were applied it sounds to me like the adhesive is not strong enough for the size of tile

Go to wickes - i have been using there adhesive for years and had no problems.

if you are sure its rising damp i would get that sorted before any tiling is done on that wall or you will just be throwing away good money buying adhesive and grout,
You say inch tiles around the bath, just a thought, but is it sealed between bath adge and wall?
its not water getting past the silicone / seal and soaking into the plaster is it?

After first reading i would have been inclined to agree with Richard, the crap B&Q stuff, also is it a really cold bathroom?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back