tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if tiling the whole bathroom should i start the first row around the bath

Sponsored Links
Lots of factors, like how big is the bathroom, how many other like windows. Need a bit more information & Im not a tiler.

It,s only a small bathroom the bath takes up the whole length by about the same width. Theres one window 1 metre * 1metre

Ok the top of the bath MAY be a good place to start, have a measue & see what will happen at the top (ceiling) & skirtingboard, then adjust the first row (at the bath) so that you get equall (roughly) at the ceiling & skirtingboard.
Then do similar around the window, you do not want small strips at one side & full tiles the other.
Remember you can place the tiles in place with masking tape to get a feel of what it will look like.

Sponsored Links
It's always better to spend a bit of time planning any tiling.Once you've started, your committed.Every room is different,but it is nicer to have a balanced looking job instead of having, as Diyisfun said whole tiles here, and cuttings there.Mark it out on the wall from different starting points vertically/horizontally, and see where it takes you.It looks nicer to start with a whole tile above the bath,and I always try to keep cuttings,especially smaller ones, away from any area that is liable to get wet.

Roughcaster.

I echo all the comments made here.

In addition, ensure that the bath is properly installed - flooring rigid, bath feet screwed down, bath bracketed to the wall, etc. It cannot be too rigid.

When you start tiling over the bath, put a folded dust sheet in the bottom of in case of mishaps.

Leave a 2mm gap between the bath deck and the first row of tiles, to be filled with silicone sealant after the tiles have been grouted and polished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back