Tilt/Open UPVC Windows Refurb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,
We've got a conservatory that's about 16 years old, there's a small leak but it's in a weird place, water is coming up from the seals at the bottom of the windows. I've been told it could be blocked drain holes or something? Does this sounds right? If so is it a new frame required? We get 60mph driving rain against the conservatory as we back onto a large open field sometimes. Surprisingly this is the only ingress of weather after all these years.

Also, we have 4 x tilt/open windows and all the mechanisms are getting a little stiff/squeaky, can these be refurbished/oiled by someone or is this something that could be life expired?
The frames all say profile 22 inside them if that helps?

Sponsored Links
16 years is about 3/4 through life- afaik. There are people like Window Doctor ( or similar) that might be able to fix.

All parts for the tilt and turn locking mechanisms should still be available to purchase. I would try oiling them all first and see how it goes , once oiled ' work ' the mechanism a few times to get oil into the places is needed , if that doesn;t work replacing the mechanisms is possible . If you aren't comfortable doing it find a lock company who effect window repairs.

As goes the leaking through the bottom bead .....We used to fit Profile 22 and I have come across this several times . The first suggestion is exactly as you have already been told , check all drainage holes are clean and flowing freely ( may require removing the glass ). If that doesn't solve it , they will require the pressure to be ' equalised ' You see the drainage holes in the bottom of the window frame , within the reveals that I mentioned earlier , well if you carefully drill some in the tops, roughly the same sort of positions and angles as the bottom ones, just through the first layer of PVC, this will then equalise the frame . When we questioned our Profile 22 supplier , they informed us to do this and said it was an air pressure thing and ' pressure equilasation ' would cure it .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back