Timber bay window insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have to replace the crumbling lathe and plaster on our square bay window in our bedroom before the plasterers come to skim all the walls and ceiling.
I would like to insulate the cavity while I have access, but what do I use without causing any damp issues?

I was thinking sound insulation slabs from rockwool?

Please advise.

Many thanks
Karl

Sponsored Links
what depth of gap is there that you could fill with insulation? that might limit your choices. Also, what is the outer wall made of?

Outer wall i assume is also lathes and render, I base that assumption on the fact i had to remove the lathe and render apex above our bedroom bay window (same bay window as original question) back in spring last year as it was damaged...

Depth of the void for insulation, well I don't know that yet as I haven't removed any of the L&P. I am starting tomorrow morning, I think around 50mm though, maybe a tad more..
But with the current frosts I wanted to be ready with knowing what to buy so I can get it done in a day.
Looking at some YT videos this PM, celotex seems to be the material of choice.

Hope you guys can help though.
Thanks

two possibilities to consider?

1/. Cut a hole into the L/P and use a tape measure?

2/. Punch several small holes, poke a thin rod. or even a pencil to give you an idea of the width of the void??

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, in about 12hrs I'm ripping it all off anyway.
I appreciate everyone's input so far, including other posts I have made, but I really need to understand what my options are to insulate.

If it's 50mm void, what options do I have?
if it's 75mm void, what are my options?
and so on.

i see Celotex comes in various thickness, if there is an option to suit my void, shall I go for that or something else?

Thanks again

two possibilities to consider?

1/. Cut a hole into the L/P and use a tape measure?

2/. Punch several small holes, poke a thin rod. or even a pencil to give you an idea of the width of the void??

Ken.

If the frames are timber then you should use a breathable insulation. Celotex will work, but does rely on a vapour barrier at the outside of the structure to prevent condensation in the middle of the wall. Google for wood fibre insulation, as it is a bay window you will not need to buy a lot and any "internal to the wall" condensation gets a chance to diffuse away.

So all the lathe and plaster is off, void is 100mm deep.
Looks like timber cladding on the outside then I guess batons with L&P render over that.

I was thinking about the vapour barrier, pointless doing it from the inside.

So surely drytherm cavity wall insulation would be best?

Attachments

• 16132191216852792358727772877550.jpg
    16132191216852792358727772877550.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 16132191483346645139882310249550.jpg
    16132191483346645139882310249550.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 110
Drytherm or Wood fibre insulation will both work, work out which gives the better insulation value and/or which is cheaper, they are both quite easy to cut, but the dritherm will tend to blunt your knife/saw more than the wood fibre will do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back