Timber frame below ground level - issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a log cabin base and i need to log cabin to be level with the current paved area, due to planning permission and not exceeding height.

Therefore, i am excavating a bit of ground and installing a timber frame using 6x2 treated timber, so that the log cabin will sit on top of the joists, therefore being level with the concrete as is. This means that the timber will be below the ground level.

Does this pose an issue? Would you put a Damp Proof Membrane on the ground underneath the joists, with gravel covering so to keep it in place? Also weed control underneath the DPM?

cheers

Sponsored Links
The ground level will be wherever you build from .Need more detail ?

The ground level will be wherever you build from .Need more detail ?

Hi, imagine the back yard, half of which is decked, and half is concrete. The decking is raised 25cm above the level of the paving.

I am building the timber frame where the decking is, so i will be removing the decking and due to planning, i am having to dig down enough to ensure that when i build my timber frame for the log cabin, the top of the 2x6 timber will be flush with the remaining paving in the yard - therefore the log cabin will sit at the same level as the paving, but it will be resting on a 2x6 frame that is below the level of the paving

Hope this makes it clearer.

Will this pose an issue in terms of damp? The timber frame will be resting on timber pads on top of a paving slab

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back