Timber frame cavity insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just reading though the kingspan literature for insulating a new timber frame building and it says you need to leave an air gap between the outer sheathing.
Why is this recommend? The osb sheathing will act like a vapor barrier so the back side don't breath will it?
Is there a way to fully fill the cavity, maybe breather membrane, fully filled PIR cavity then osb on the inside?

Sponsored Links
The cavity acts as a vent for the timber frame, and it keeps penetrating moisture away from the frame. Membrane also needs air on one side to perform.

So you insulate within the frame.

The cavity acts as a vent for the timber frame
But a vent where? There will be no air flow in that void. The OSB is basically impermeable so is the pir; the tops and bottoms are timber so it's a closed box, there should be no air movement in there.
You might get a bit of moisture if the OSB is saturated but that's what the gap between the rain screen and breather membrane is for.
What am I missing?

Sponsored Links
But anyway my real question is can I full fill with foil faced board?

OSB is basically impermeable

And yet not many ships are built out of OSB. Strange

The cavity is not a sealed vacumm. It's vented. Either with vents if there is a rainscreen, or via porosity if the cladding is permeable. That's what you are missing.

OSB is basically impermeable

And yet not many ships are built out of OSB. Strange

The cavity is not a sealed vacumm. It's vented. Either with vents if there is a rainscreen, or via porosity if the cladding is permeable. That's what you are missing.
Think I have miss led you, not a cavity between rain screen and breather&OSB but in the frame between OSB and pir

kingspan.png

Yes so why have they said you need one?

Never mind, I took a fresh copy off their website and it has that bit removed, I must have had an old copy?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back