Timber Frame Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

is there any savings in using Timber Frame for an extension. Its a 3 bed semi, looking at a double on the side. Its got a single skin garage attatched at the moment.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If using SIPs panels with rendered outer skin there will be a big saving in time and consequently a financial saving too, so long as you don't mind a non masonry exterior skin. Can get great U values with SIPs systems too.

Being a bricklayer i doubt a good gang of brickies could beat a timber frame erection. i do however think that, from the time the footing is poured, to the time a gang could have the two skins built, the the turn around time JUST for bespoke timper panels to be built would be slower let alone then deliver and erect.

As far as u value, we are now putting 100mm of bubble wrapped kingspan into buildings...the last timber frame building, we wrapped in brickwork had the bubble wrap on the timber frame and a rockwool on the inside, the plasterers had to wait for the electritians to finish who had to wait for the plumbers who had to wait for the laggers.....what a farce.

Bricks and Mortar...bricks and mortar

Sponsored Links
As far as u value, we are now putting 100mm of bubble wrapped kingspan into buildings...the last timber frame building, we wrapped in brickwork had the bubble wrap on the timber frame and a rockwool on the inside
Do you actually know what SIPs panels are?

As far as u value, we are now putting 100mm of bubble wrapped kingspan into buildings...the last timber frame building, we wrapped in brickwork had the bubble wrap on the timber frame and a rockwool on the inside

Go on enlighten me...i may be surprised....or i may just not know the name for them as i dont work with timber....after all i am a bricky...sorry

Go on enlighten me...i may be surprised....or i may just not know the name for them as i dont work with timber....after all i am a bricky...sorry

SIPs or Structurally Insulated Panels are whole wall planes that arrive on site which are just fixed together. They're factory formed in giant presses with rigid insulation sandwiched between 2 layers or ply or similar. Once on site assembled they're clad in a breather membrane which for a typical extension should only take a few days. Once the breather membranes on its possible to start the first fix on the inside. Its also quite possible to get the supplier to do the roof in SIP's as well, they'll also supply the floor too if required. This system of building is very popular with Housing Associations as it really is financially advantageous. For the same outlay you simply cannot achieve the same U values and air tightness with conventional timber frame or bricks and mortar. Its main downside and the reason its not very popular is the thought of not living with a masonry outer skin which seems to go against the grain for most buyers (and hence developers).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back