Timber Framed Construction on Slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm planning on building a 14 x 21ft timber framed workshed in the back garden and could use your advice or recommended resources for this project.

The land slopes down 50cm from left to right (looking at it head on), with the right side against neighbours fence.

If I go from the highest ground on the left and level the building, it means that the height on the right will be 2.9m from ground (which means nearly 3m against neighbours fence and back fence which is owned by the local authority and not within permitted planning).

If I excavate the ground on the left to level with right, i will potentially need to build a retaining wall.

Is it a good idea to build a retaining wall and have my pad footing, plinth and 2x6 timber (waterproof coated) and DPC membrane butted right up against it?

Or am I creating more work than i need to and could just dig out the depth of foundation pad, plinth, 2x6 floor and ply (33cm) and leave the soild as it is?

Sponsored Links
I believe permitted development rules say that the height is taken from the adjacent highest point, so you could build it under 2.5m where the ground is highest, it would then be higher at the lower fround level, but still pd.

Im not 100% sure about this so please take advice from others.........

If you need a retaining wall, why not use this as a dwarf wall for the workshed and make that timber frame shorter to suit

Hi Notch7,

Thank you for your reply and ideas about finding a resolution.

We have decided that to do a dwarf wall but not put the structural load on it as it would need better foundations that are outside of budget.

Appreciate your input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back