Garden Slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hoping someone can help me. I've recently bought a new house and was told the garden would be level with a slight slope at the end towards the fence bit its nothing like that. The garden right now is not level at all. The left corner is more 1.5m higher than the left corner of the house. From left to right there is a slope. I've raised this with the builder and they have told me it to plan and are refusing to do anything. The is so much slope its hard for the kids to play football! I have attached the plan of my garden but cannot make too much sense of it. Can anyone help please. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230907_121851.jpg
    IMG_20230907_121851.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
Not sure what you want help with? To understand the plan or find a solution?

The finished floor level of your house is 161.15m, the ground level immediately surrounding your house is 161.0m (so 0.15m (15cm) below floor level). Then your garden should slope upwards by between 30cm - 85cm to the bank where it should then bank up steeper by about 50cm. Gardens are seldom flat.

image shows a 1:10 and a 1:41
not clear on where you are measuring ....
1.5 m change in what distance ?
15m would b a 1:10 - for every 10m a change of 1m

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you want help with? To understand the plan or find a solution?

The finished floor level of your house is 161.15m, the ground level immediately surrounding your house is 161.0m (so 0.15m (15cm) below floor level). Then your garden should slope upwards by between 30cm - 85cm to the bank where it should then bank up steeper by about 50cm. Gardens are seldom flat.
Thanks Freddiesmercurystwin, just wanted an understanding of the plan to see if the garden is actually to plan which it is not. The info you provided is very useful thanks.

Bear in mind that soft landscaping levels on developer sites can vary by a few hundred mm here and there, what someone draws on a drawing is sometimes adjusted a bit on site, of course they can get it way off if they're crap or don't care or can save a few quid. Incidentally the plan does state that the hatched bits to the rear of the house should be flat. But really if you want a flatter area for footy then some landscaping will be in order. Roads, pavements, driveways and floor levels etc should all be bang on.

Bear in mind that soft landscaping levels on developer sites can vary by a few hundred mm here and there, what someone draws on a drawing is sometimes adjusted a bit on site, of course they can get it way off if they're crap or don't care. Incidentally the plan does state that the hatched bits to the rear of the house should be flat. But really if you want a flatter area for footy then some landscaping will be in order. Roads, pavements, driveways and floor levels etc should all be bang on.
The other query is the size of the garden as it is much smaller than was promised!. This plan does not show dimensions only levels right?

The plan doesn't have a scale bar which it should really. But if you measure the size (say width) of your house you should then be able to use that to determine the scale of the drawing so should be fairly easy to work out. Tell me the overall width of your house and I'll tell you the rest, I'm having a bored moment! Of course even if you know all that there's still an element of what is and what isn't promised/assumed, as mentioned normally there's disclaimers all over the drawing, normally they will have a 'Do not scale from this drawing' note!

width.jpg

do you have all this "promised" in writing from the builder ?
Lol the saleswoman was very good. She said the garden is absolutely massive and level with a slight slope at the end. I do have an email somewhere with some dimensions. Something like 17m from the garden room which in reality is more like 5m if that! I was never given anything official - probably tactics so they can change things while building. Would the council have plans for my garden possibly?

I'd be inclined to say that for a new build house that is arguably massive, unfortunatly. You would be able to find the site plan online as part of the planing approval though only the one done for planning and there's no gaurantee things havent changed a bit since then, ordinarily this part plan will be an extract from the current site plan.

The plan doesn't have a scale bar which it should really. But if you measure the size (say width) of your house you should then be able to use that to determine the scale of the drawing so should be fairly easy to work out. Tell me the overall width of your house and I'll tell you the rest, I'm having a bored moment! Of course even if you know all that there's still an element of what is and what isn't promised/assumed, as mentioned normally there's disclaimers all over the drawing, normally they will have a 'Do not scale from this drawing' note!

View attachment 313347
Awesome thanks the width is 1316cm

i have never been involved in new builds - only buying 2nd hand homes

i would always use the land registry to show a rough idea of boundries in respect to other properties on the site , although they will not get into any dispute over boundries - BUT it maybe interesting to pull off a document plan - its only £3.50 I think - i pulled one off , as the estate agent incorerrctly showed my garage as part of the neighbours house for sale on their land plan- and they immediately corrected it , when i sent and email and also called them ..... with a copy of that land registry document .

BUT maynot - not sure what your solicitor has or sent you - should have sent a full land register details and plan so you should have it any way
maynot help

i did get involved when purchasing a property which had been purchased by the neighbour and they wanted to change a strip of land, and that all went through land registry to change both plots, we both made the measurements and checked the plans .... and marked the plot out - so there was no confusion

i have never been involved in new builds - only buying 2nd hand homes

i would always use the land registry to show a rough idea of boundries in respect to other properties on the site , although they will not get into any dispute over boundries - BUT it maybe interesting to pull off a document plan - its only £3.50 I think - i pulled one off , as the estate agent incorerrctly showed my garage as part of the neighbours house for sale on their land plan- and they immediately corrected it , when i sent and email and also called them ..... with a copy of that land registry document .

BUT maynot - not sure what your solicitor has or sent you - should have sent a full land register details and plan so you should have it any way
maynot help

i did get involved when purchasing a property which had been purchased by the neighbour and they wanted to change a strip of land, and that all went through land registry to change both plots, we both made the measurements and checked the plans .... and marked the plot out - so there was no confusion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back