Family Garden on a Slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am considering buying a house with a 10m x 10m garden to the rear, which slopes considerably away from the house starting after approx 3m, then drops about a meter over the next 3 meters then levels out.

The house is also on a corner plot so the back garden is adjacent to a private road on the left and the back.

My questions are:

- Can I create a retaining wall around the perimiter, to raise the level somewhat from the back, and put a 6' fence on top of this

- I know that I can only go 2m above original ground level, but is this taken from the house, or from the level of the garden after it has dipped towards the private road?

- Can I realistically create a simple family garden with this space, on 2 levels?

Cheers
Phil

Sponsored Links
Measure from the highest point, house down the road from me has a retaining wall with fence that reaches about 12ft.

Measure from the highest point, house down the road from me has a retaining wall with fence that reaches about 12ft.
sorry forgot to add you may need planning permission, best thing to do would be to contact your local authority.

retaining walls are expensive and where they abut a boundary must be built properly and designed by an engineer if above a couple of feet. I would get an estimate from a landscaper before commiting to buy. You may find you need to spend a few thousand before getting a good useable space and this will obviously effect your offer.

A few photo's and i could give you a very rough idea.

I have never done a levelling/terracing job that had retaining walls for less than 3 grand and that was a small garden.

The boundary height issue is vague in terms of where it is taken from. It will depend on the opinion of the planning officer who sees it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the pointers gents.

The idea that planning permission could be required is a major factor as there's no way we'd buy it without knowing for sure we could sort it.

I can't get photo's I'm afraid as the old boy selling the house was a bit 'funny' about me taking more pictures for reference.

I think the fact that it's only 10m2, and this includes a garage, which would also have to come down to make best use of the spae, is a deal breaker for me.

Once again, thanks for the input, much appreciated.

If anyone needs advice on building databases I'd be glad to return the favour...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back