Timber framed houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Didn't know where else to ask, other than googling

Looking at buying a house and saw a lovely one for sale, out an offer in and then was told after the offer was accepted it's a timber framed house (shows my level of knowledge or lack of)

Read pros and cons to a timber built house online

But figured some of you guys would know more. Is it worth considering a timber built house? It was built in 2006, by main concern was rotting and future lenders when remortgaging and issues of maybe selling it in the future.

Also read about potential rotting etc too

Just wondered if anyone had thoughts on whether to avoid or if I'm overthinking it

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Is it SIP's panels or traditional timber frame? With regards to lifespan or remortgaging there shouldnt be any issues there assuming it was all signed off etc. It can be more tricky to extend or make internal changes that's for sure, was it built by a national developer or a smaller developer, do you have access to the Building Regs plans by any chance? That would make making any internal changes or extending easier.

some of the oldest houses still standing are timber, so the exact construction is what matters. It may make any later alterations need more thought.

I must admit I don't really know any further details other than heading it was timber framed, though I did wonder why it was only mentioned after the offer was accepted (maybe in too dubious)

Regarding the changing the structure the only thing we had in mind was converting the loft info a bedroom should planning permit, though this wasn't a huge factor in buying the house.

My main concerns really reading was rotting etc and whether that would likely be an issue.

Our current mortgage provider who we'd be sorting with said they'd lend on it, but I'm always concerned by hearing it's no of "traditional construction" I guess

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Timber frame is becoming more common though it's been used in construction for many decades, given the terrible system of buying and selling houses in the UK it's buyer beware so it's down to the buyer to ask beforehand unfortunately but as mentioned it needn't necessarily be an issue.

Last edited:
I bought a timber frame house for my parents in 1996, built around 1988, no mortgage but sold it in 2015 with no issues. As long as there aren’t lots of holes in the walls piercing the lining it should be fine but get a survey done.
As I understand it the frame is the inner wall with insulation and membrane then plasterboard etc with the outer walls being brick. At least mine was, loads of houses all on the same estate all built the same way.

I have the same concerns as you around timber framed homes ( maybe irrational ) but personally I would not buy one unless it was a short term venture and I had a proper survey done. If there was an option of brick/ block built home available and I was looking long term I wouldn't buy a timber frame.

Thanks all, have asked this question in a few places and most say now days they don't have an issue with timber framed

I guess my concern mostly was if that ever changed and lending became harder, therefore making it harder to sell.

But the majority don't seem to think it's a big deal, speaking to my lender they didn't have a problem with it either

Is it SIP's panels or traditional timber frame? With regards to lifespan or remortgaging there shouldnt be any issues there assuming it was all signed off etc. It can be more tricky to extend or make internal changes that's for sure, was it built by a national developer or a smaller developer, do you have access to the Building Regs plans by any chance? That would make making any internal changes or extending easier.
I found out it was built by countryside residential if that helps

This is true timber frame
scan_03_jpeg.jpg

I would hazard that if it's a brick external finish then it will be traditional timber frame (internal skin) and then a brick outer leaf. If rendered then it could be traditional with render on blockwork rather than brickwork or SIP's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back