RSJ's and timber house framing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently designing my own timber framed housed and will be using 6x2 for the wall framing. The design will be all timber, fully insulated with either a timber or vinyl cladding system on the outside.

I am thinking of using RSJ's as I need to span 10m overall (the width of the house) with a 6x2 supporting wall halfway (5m). The first floor will be built on top of this.

Firstly am I able to use RSJ's on the timber framing and how would I fix these to the wall? Would I bolt these through?

Secondly, Id much rather use timber throughout so how about using a whole load of 9x2's or 10x2's bolted together to span 5m at a time?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You should use a fabricated softwood box, lattice or plywood beam to span 5m.

I am planning to construct a box beam of around 6m in lengh although it will be supported every 2 metres and will contain two 6x2s each 6metres long - note the deliberate mix of imp and metric units.

Read about it here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ge&q=fabricated softwood box, lattice&f=false

But, whether it can take the loads imposed on it, is where a competent SE comes in.

I reccomend you purchase the above book for your total house project

Why not consider I-beams or Eco-Joists as they will easily span over 5m with most loadings, as they can be purchased in different depths. This may be more cost effective.

Steel beams can be used on timber frames. There are many ways to fix/support these.

But if you are designing a house, then you need to know how to design the construction. There are times when a steel beam may be necessary, but there are other options - not only in the selection of any beam, but in altering the design so as smaller, more economical or different beams can be used

There could be insulation issues which would mean that a [cold] steel beam should be avoided, or things like getting services through a beam may require a specific type

Basically you should be designing the building as a whole and not thinking in terms of individual structural items

Sponsored Links
You design as much as you like, and don't worry too much about components at this stage. If you engage a timber frame manufacturer, they will do all the specs for you and a decent one will work with you to achieve the result you expect. The Engineers who produce the calculations for the manufacturers will take into account historic weather conditions - wind loads, snow loads etc, for your exact location plus dead and imposed loadings and this will dictate what should be used. Your load-bearing internal wall is usually 89mm x 38mm CLS Grade C16 KD so a 6" wall would be uneccessary in a small building. Remember that you have to satisfy the LA and without vast experience and a PI insurance - it is unlikely you will be able to.

Thanks guys. Definitly food for thought. Please keep posting the advice.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back