Timber Framing For A Summerhouse / Garden Office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Thanks in advance of any responses on the below points/Q's.

Looking to build a home office/ summer house approx 10'X8'. Intention is to use two sets of patio doors on adjacent sides to let light in and view the garden (Ebay cheapies). Will probably subdivide the main part about 40/60 to allow for storage as well.

Not to scale :LOL:

Where is a good source of reference to frame out this build? - Want to construct it in timber
Need to know detail on framing for the headers above the patio doors - Understand I will need to double/triple up even to hold the weight of the roof.

Any advice will be appreciated. This is early days yet but once I get underway I will start a post in the 'Your Projects' forum for further advice and support

Thanks again

Steven

Sponsored Links
Thanks ^woody^, will be ordering this book soon.

Like the box beams as I would want to insulate it so it can be used all year round.

Wife now talking of adding in a wood burner so need to make a concrete pad/hearth on the inside for this to sit etc etc.

Sponsored Links
flitch beams 2@ 9 inch joist with a metal plate in between bolted through on anything above a 1.8 opening you would have to do an engineer would specify the size of steel needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back