Timber shingle questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to clad a couple of outbuildings with timber shingles but I'm getting conflicting information back as to how many tiles there are per m2.

Based on a 450mm x 150mm tile I get it to be about 36 tiles/m2 with a 5 mm gap and a 150mm face showing (i.e., the rule of thirds).

I'm seeing people selling 25/m, 33/m2, 35/m2 and others just stating that the bundle will cover 1.68m or 2.28m.

I reckon that I need 625 tiles per building, so 1250 in all to cover about 28m2, but then when I go by some of the measurements online, of say 25 tiles per m2, then it would suggest I only need 700 tiles total. That's nearly half as much as what I thought I needed.

Does someone have any advice on how to get to the actual amount I'm going to need?

The problem with this type of covering is that I'd no doubt go and collect it from a sawmill or joinery shop rather then get it delivered by one of the big timber merchants - purely because I'm seeing prices over £100/bundle (£50+/m2). The Black Label stuff is around £38/m2 and eBay are throwing some up at £13-16/m2 - so when I'm committing a van, £60 of fuel and a day out then I don't want to be doing it twice otherwise I might as well get a merchant to deliver.

Any advice or help out there?

Sponsored Links
if your talking cedar shingles? Then get them from a Roofing merchant. They come in random widths so how many doesn't apply.
workout your m2 and get what you need in bundles. Bundle coverage is based on exposure (gauge)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back