Timber - Terminology

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found a decent timber site on the net that actually gives prices of all the woods they do. It's great for working out projects and the cost of things.
here
Whilst going through the site I have found a few words and terms I don't understand. Perhaps someone can elighten me.

When talking of skirting they use:

1. Sawnfallings
2. Fifths
3. Unsorted

Also in construction timber you have:

1. CLS
2. Scant
3. PAR Softwood and Hardwood.

Also Pre Vac and Dec. is used when talking of cladding.

What I am looking for is material to build a shed as mentioned in earlier posts. Build will be 8 x 12. Any ideas what best timbers to use for the various components. Base, frame, Cladding, roof.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
CLS = Canadian Lumber Standard

Studwall softwood. planed with rounded corners. :)

Sponsored Links
mildmanneredjanitor said:
Try searching on the net for Scant & cladding...

:D

I did, I failed. :(

Well I did find 'scant' but it didn't say what it was. :rolleyes:

Scant : very cheap 'planed all round' (PAR) white wood for rough work for stud partitioning or sub framework for door/window opening frame for bricklaying etc.

masona said:
Scant : very cheap 'planed all round' (PAR) white wood for rough work for stud partitioning or sub framework for door/window opening frame for bricklaying etc.

Ta muchly - it was beggining to bug me not knowing what it was. :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone.

At least now I know what to ask for.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back