Time delay switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am currently in the process of changing a 1 way light switch which supplies a 58w Fluorescent for a time delay switch.
I am looking at both electronic and pneumatic and take it that pneumatic works by the button slowly releasing until the timer progress is finished. Ideally I wanted a time delay switch that can still be used like a normal switch, e.g. press to turn on and then press to turn back off, and just use the timer function as a backup in case someone accidentally leaves the light on which is what has been happening a lot recently. Does such a thing exist?

Regards.

Sponsored Links
I think at least some of the electronic ones can be configured to do that, but the crucial question is do you have neutral at the switch?

What would be the point?

How would it know what you wanted or intended and hadn't made a mistake?

The pneumatic ones just stay on until the button completes its travel. There is no timer, as such.

I think at least some of the electronic ones can be configured to do that, but the crucial question is do you have neutral at the switch?

Yes there is a neutral. There is only one light on the circuit. The cable runs from the consumer unit to the switch and then onto the light.

Sponsored Links
What would be the point?

How would it know what you wanted or intended and hadn't made a mistake?

The pneumatic ones just stay on until the button completes its travel. There is no timer, as such.

I was just thinking because the light can sometimes only be required for 5 seconds and other times for about 10 minutes, so I would have set the timer to about 5 minutes just as a backup in case the light was accidentally left on.

If you were to change it to an LED lamp, the running cost is so tiny that you need have no fear of leaving it on for ten minutes. Even running 24 hours a day, or 12 with a dawn-to-dusk switch, the cost is slight.

Do work out whether it will ever pay for itself before you bother.

Fluorescent lights don't like frequent switching operations. Switching it on for 5 seconds or even 10 minutes umpteen times a day will cause more wear than leaving it on for the working day.

I disagree that changing it to an LED lamp will significantly reduce running costs. In terms of lumens per watt LEDs are not much different to fluorescents. But at least LEDs don't mind frequent switching.

I have a MiHome light switch, it has three built in timers so you can do some programming with the three timers, it is also ITTT and there are a host of programs you can run, off or on at dusk and on or off at dawn, however they are not cheap, so if simply trying to save money it's a non starter.

I already had the hub and wanted to be able to use a remote to switch it off and on, it would have been cheaper to use a simple two way switch, but now fitted works as alarm clock as well as able to set it to do all sorts of odd things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back