Time for a new floor in the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hallo everybody,

Time to bite the bullet and replace the floor in the first floor bathroom. It's very bouncy, dished toward the middle, and, I suspect, rotten in places (haven't lifted the carpet yet but I can feel missing boards in places...).

Anyway, my wife wants a bath in the middle of the floor, and I'd rather it stayed in the bathroom, not descended into the kitchen.

My thoughts were to strip out fittings, lift the boards, knock down the ceiling (probably lath & plaster) and then cut the joists (if they haven't fallen out...).

Then, fit new joists, floor, insulation, heating & tiles. not sure of the best way to fit the joists.

Fitting into the wall seems like a lot of work. Joist hangers seem more straightforward, but can they be used with existing brick walls ? if so, what's the best way - grind/rake out a slot and grout in with mortar ? or remove bricks from the inner wall (9" brick, no cavity) and refix so that the hanger bears on a good brick face ?

I thought about bolting timbers to each wall and hanging the joists of that, but I need to get three wastes & a soil pipe out, so there won't be much timber left.

Any thoughts will welcome, David.

PS thought about reinforcing the joists, but the rest of the first floor seems to be on 5" joists (house built in 1840) so I don't think it's really a starter. Besides, that's not really enough room to run a soil pipe under the floor

Sponsored Links
fit a mid-span steel beam under them and jack it up.

or, cut a mid-section out of the joists then slot a prepared steel beam up betwixt complete with timber bolted web and hangers.

Thanks noseall,

Bit short of headroom below, so I'm not sure I can get away with a additional 4 or 6" beam.

When you say "cut out a mid section", do you mean cut a notch on the underside to receive a beam ?

and does "prepared steel beam" mean one that is notched similarly ?

all advice gratefully received, David

you would buy a steel beam with some pre-drilled holes along the middle, or even staggered.

you can then slot some snug fitting timber into each side of the web and fix threaded bar, washers and bolts through the wood and the pre-drilled holes in the steel, clamping the lot together.

this could be offered up between a pre-cut slot in the joists. you could then wrap jiffy hangers around the joists and fix them into the timber prepared web.

Sponsored Links
Ah, all is clear.

Been thinking, and in the cold light of day, it's too much for me.

I'll get the yellow pages out and get some professionals to offer up solutions and prices.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to a hare brained scheme !

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back