bouncy floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved and the house i bought was built in the 1930's. 2 rooms had bouncy floors. The bounce was along the outside wall. When i lifted the floorboards i noticed that some of the wall on which the joists rest was missing i.e. the joists are resting on the wooden wall plate but the bricks on which the wall plate rests, well some are missing. The bricks have not fallen down, because they would be lying on the sollom. The reason the floors are bouncy is because some of the supporting wall is missing. Any suggestions as to why some of the wall is missing and how is the best way to supprt the joists.

regards

scott

Sponsored Links
scottygio said:
Any suggestions as to why some of the wall is missing and how is the best way to supprt the joists.
I have no idea why it's missing unless it was rotted and the last owner clean it out or tried to hide it.

Anyway, you'll need to lift some more floorboards up where the sleeper wallplate are to check they are not rotted by poking a small screwdriver mainly at the bottom of the timber. If it's rotted in most places then you will a new floor etc. If they are okay then you can repair with new timber where it's needed, won't be easy to cement the wallplate so something slate tiles under the wallplate and wedge it in tight and make sure the wallplate is not touching any part of the walls

Sponsored Links
the wall plate is ok. My idea is to build up the brick wall and for the joists to rest on them, what are your thoughts on this?

regards

scott

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back