Time Lag Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening. One of the light switches in my communal hallway has been broken for 2 months. Unfortunatly, my landlord will do nothing about it and it's got to the point that I want to replace the switch myself. It's dangerous having to walk up the first flight of stairs without any light. I understand about Part P and the implications of doing this work myself, but I'd rather take that risk than walk up the stairs in the dark again.

I have changed many sockets and switches before, and I have a voltage tester (not a neon screwdriver). I can isolate the supply at the landlords consumer unit; I've pulled the fuse and all the emergency lighting comes on in the hallway.

My problem is finding a replacement switch. It's made by RF part no: 279-8614, so I hoped to replace like for like. But, I can't buy from RF unless I have a business account with them. So, can anyone tell me if there is another switch (MK, GET etc) that will do the same job as the current one.

The current switch can be seen here

It's the middle one of the 3; the illuminated switch.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Ben

edited link to make post easier to read. (but RS website has timed out)

Sponsored Links
Hi ch427

Many thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention in my first post that there are 4 lights in this hallway and 4 switches. (entrance, ground floor, first floor and second floor). I'm not sure if the PIR switch is compatible as it seems to only replace a standard light switch. I've opened up the broken switch and there are terminals for "slave switches", plus the supply from the consumer unit.

Can you post a photo of the offending mains switch?

Can you see any brand name on it?

Sponsored Links
Hi RF Lighting. It's made by RS. I put a link in my first post, but I don't know if that's working.

I can't work out how to edit a post on here... I just realised in my first post I said the switch was made by RF when I should have said RS :oops:

There is an 'edit' button on the top right hand corner of every post you have made.

Thank you, RF lighting! I couldn't see it because I didn't drag the scroll bar across enough :oops:

now use the
icon_edit.gif
button to see how I made the link smaller

I wouldn't be worrying about Part P, I'd be more worried about my liability should someone get injured or even killed as a result of anything I did.

Thanks to all who replied. I went to an electrical wholesalers today and asked them if they could recommend a switch. I went for another electronic switch, but made by Aurora(?) Everything is working nicely now :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back