time of year for planting these...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have three large containers against a sheltered north facing wall and I'm planning to plant i) a dog rose, ii) a climbing hydrangea and iii) honesuckle - is it OK to plant them out now before winter or should I wait 'till next spring?

Sponsored Links
Wait until spring - north facing = cold and low light levels already

I would plant them now. They are all deciduous and very hardy so no worries with the cold. They will be better settled by spring and ready to get going.

I would plant them now. They are all deciduous and very hardy so no worries with the cold. They will be better settled by spring and ready to get going.

^^^^ This. The soil is still warm and the roots will start developing.

Sponsored Links
The dog rose will probably only be available as a bare root plant now and is best to plant out when it's dormant, so winter is fine.
The honeysuckle, depends on which type you buy. If its a deciduous one, you can plant now, but if you buy an evergreen then it should be planted in the spring or early autumn which means you'd have to move pretty fast (I would wait myself if get the evergreen). The hydrangea can be planted now too, or in spring, tho personally I would wait until spring as they like a little bit of light to grow really well - they are very slow grower at the start so I believe everything helps. Or put the last one in a pot now and move it to a more sunnier position to give it a better start? I've a north facing garden and already this time of year I have next to no sunshine in the garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back