Time question.

Sponsored Links
Various instructions for that mechanism on the internet indicate that the hands need moving back 1 hour for the UK.

It probably is picking up the UK transmitter and it probably will move back an hour for GMT but it will also always indicate 1 hour ahead of local time if you don't take it apart and move the hour hand.

Edited to add:
https://www.hswalsh.com/product/uts-radio-controlled-quartz-clock-movement-gm211dcf Note that this link (in the Uk) says that the hands should be set to the 11:00 position, while instructions for Europe say 12:00 position: https://andreasvölker.de/2023/06/08/uts-dcf/

Last edited:
It probably is picking up the UK transmitter and it probably will move back an hour for GMT but it will also always indicate 1 hour ahead of local time if you don't take it apart and move the hour hand.

There is a reason why multi-standard clocks and watches have a means of selecting which standard to use.

It's a 77Khz receiver, it cannot receive the 60Khz Anthorn transmissions.

Sponsored Links
If you are willing to take it apart, the hands are a push-fit onto the hollow spindle tubes, so you could pull them off and press back on in the different position.

DCF is 77 Khz Meinburg, Frankfurt, Germany. MSF means it is a standard time frequency receiver.

Basically, it is only designed to work on German time.

You need a clock designed to work from the the UK's Anthorn 60Khz signal, in Cumbria.

No not having you on. I used to have to prop my workplace clocks up in the window to get the correct time when the batteries needed replacing. They wouldn't set to the time signal when they were up on the wall.

However, I apologise, the instructions I posted are from the version of your clock available in this country, which is dual-band.
As @Harry Bloomfield says above, your clock has only DCF stated on the back - it isn't dual-band and will only sync to the German DCF signal. :(

Some seem to be overly complicating stuff.

We use radio-synced timepieces at work.
They're only £25 ish stuff, from amazon.

To set these for UK use, you at them to DCF minus 1, or something like that.

In short, even cheap stuff that only syncs to DCF can have a setting for it to work in the UK.

Perhaps yours does too?

The manufacturer might be AMS-Uhrenfabrik A.Mayer Gmbh

If you e-mail them with a picture and a question they might be able to help ( most companies can deal with e-mails written in English )
http://www.ams-clocks.de
[email protected]
Tel 0049 7723 91940
Josef-Zähringer-Str. 103
78120 Furtwangen im Schwarzwald - Schönenbach

My watch is regulated by the signal from Germany, but being Japanese it is clever enough to know where I am. I left it in the box for a while so it didn't get charged by the light (solar powered). When I took it out into the light it was fascinating to watch the hands and date function whizz round to the correct date and time.

Don't think that will work Roy. However it might be one of those damn batteries . Maybe I should get a British one
Yeah, they're Chinese.
You're lucky, it could have been on Chinese time.

Sponsored Links
Back