pc time

H

holmslaw

Minor problem thats doing my head in.
I have had 4 pc's at home and in every case the clock loses time even though I don't switch off the pc, they all automatically change for bst etc, why don't they keep the correct time. I have also had 3 laptops and they always keep the correct time.
The pc I'm using now has lost 6 minutes in the lsat 2 days.

Sponsored Links
The realtime clocks in computers are not very accurate. However, there is a way to make the clock synchronize to an accurate clock on the internet built in to windows XP.

1: double click on the clock at the bottom right of screen.
2: click on the internet time tab
3: tick the box where it says Automatically synchronize with an internet time server
4: click apply.

The computer will now adjust its clock once a day

Job Done

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jossper - followed your advice and clock synchronisation was already active on pc and laptop. The problem seems to be that the laptop synchs daily but the pc synchs weekly. Any idea how I can change the setting so the pc synchs daily.
Incidently, I've also used atomic clock on all my pc's but have never been able to get it to carry out a daily auto check.
pc os is xp home

There are 2 sets of time clocks on your pc. One set is in the BIOS (CMOS) & the other is software based (Windows). I cant honestly see it making any difference, but if you go into your setup, as soon as you boot, (normally an F key, or the DEL key), you can check your time settings.

don't change any other settings whatever you do, these settings allow your pc to run correctly, any unwanted changes could result in problems.

Back