United Kingdom
Hi all.

Pentium 4 3.4
1Gb DDR ram
Windows XP update 2
All software updates installed to date
250Gb hard drive
NVidia GE force FX 5700

Got the above pc an I know its not a super duper PC but meets my needs and runs my business.

All has been well until recently when the cpu fan keeps cutting in about every 10 mins, it hardly ever used to cut in before, so obviously it is now getting hot more often. Problem is that when ever fan kicks in and subsequently stops the pc freezes for about 1-2 secs, never crashes, just stops what it is doing :eek:

I don't know much about the in depth issues of over heating but have had the side off and cleaned all air vents etc and all other fans seem to be working. I usually have my PC running nearly 24hrs/day due to my internet business and other than re-booting every day it gives no other problems.

Anyone got any ideas ;)

Sponsored Links
my cpu fan runs 24/7

i was led to believe that is the problem with pentiums and pcs thi cpu gets very hot very quick

could you not unplug the fan and plig it into something else, or perhpas thats a no no

On the face of it I suppose so, but I don't know why it has suddenly started doing this. Does the fan starting drain enough power to freeze my PC? or is it the cpu so hot that this makes it freeze?

I would like to understand why its doing it as well as if it can be cured.

(side note, note I use capital I for my pro-noun or whatever it is called :rolleyes: :LOL: I know political correctness is out of control in this country, but asking someone not to TYPE IN CAPS being racist :eek: :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL: )

probably, as i said cpu's do get somewhat hot and rely on the fan for cooling

Sponsored Links
When you say the CPU fan "cuts in", what exactly do you mean?

The CPU fan should run all the time, although it's speed may vary, depending on the load and ambient temperatures. It has been hotter recently, and the system fans will be drawing in warmer air. It's possible that that CPU fan speed is increasing to compensate, which is normal.

If the CPU fan ever stops, this is not good and you should replace the heatsink assembly, remembering to clean the old heatsink compound from the top of the CPU and replacing with a new silver pad or compound.

Depending on your system, the CPU temperature and fan speed is often displayed in the BIOS or within Windows, using software supplied by the board manufacturer. This is worth checking.

Thanks, I can here a fan running all the time, I believe there is a fan on the power supply, outer case and the cpu. I was presuming it was the cpu fan as it sounds like a fan cutting in or speeding up for about 20secs at a time. It does not sound variable just this loud noise that is a constant spedd for the 20secs.

An example would be that if I'm typing as here and it cuts in or stops then I 'miss out' a couple of letters, or if lisyening to music it stops for a second or 2. Is this what you mean by the cpu stopping?

It never used to do this whatever the ambient room temperature was.

I will check my bios as you suggest.

Edit;
Checked BIOS
CPU temp = 54C/129F
CPU fan speed = 2350 RPM average
System fan speed = 1153 RPM average

gas4you said:
Thanks, I can here a fan running all the time, I believe there is a fan on the power supply, outer case and the cpu. I was presuming it was the cpu fan as it sounds like a fan cutting in or speeding up for about 20secs at a time. It does not sound variable just this loud noise that is a constant spedd for the 20secs.

An example would be that if I'm typing as here and it cuts in or stops then I 'miss out' a couple of letters, or if lisyening to music it stops for a second or 2. Is this what you mean by the cpu stopping?

It never used to do this whatever the ambient room temperature was.

I will check my bios as you suggest.

Edit;
Checked BIOS
CPU temp = 54C/129F
CPU fan speed = 2350 RPM average
System fan speed = 1153 RPM average

Sorry, it was a typo. I meant CPU fan stopping. Can you determine which fan is making the noise. You will need to remove the case or side panel to be sure.

I'll remove case and hopefully tell you. The 'freezing' only happens at the exact moment the fan starts or stops.

Not a hard drive spinning up and down is it?
:?:

empip said:
Not a hard drive spinning up and down is it?
:?:

Thanks for the suggestion but it is definitely a fan, strange thing is it hasn't done it for about the last 3 hours :rolleyes:

Has it stopped because you have taken the case off? If so, it would suggest that the temperature is now lower due to increased airflow.

No nothing has changed other than I looked in the bios but changed nothing :confused:

gas4you said:
No nothing has changed other than I looked in the bios but changed nothing :confused:

Just checked bios again

cpu temp is now down to 50C/122F, fan speeds still the same.

If I assume that fan is doing its job by cutting in and getting faster to cool cpu, is it usual for the pc to 'freeze' for a second as it does it? Does this mean the power supply is not producing enough power or something?

gas4you said:
gas4you said:

Just checked bios again

cpu temp is now down to 50C/122F, fan speeds still the same.

If I assume that fan is doing its job by cutting in and getting faster to cool cpu, is it usual for the pc to 'freeze' for a second as it does it? Does this mean the power supply is not producing enough power or something?

What's the make/model of the PC? If you built it, which motherboard did you use?

hp t590, this seems to have been removed from subject after my original post :rolleyes:

This is the motherboard

HP - Compaq ASUS P4SD-LA Motherboard Desktop/PC.

Sponsored Links
Back