Time switches for LED lighting with power to switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking for some time switches for our lights for when we are away – just to switch on and off lighting in a few rooms.

Most of our lights in our new build have power [edited to clarify: power supply, i.e. L and N to the switch first] to the light switch, which I’d assume gives a bit more flexibility on the type of timer we can use - rather than the standard ones, which are “on” all the time with a small current through an incandescent bulb to power the timer. All our lighting is LED from downlighters to bulbs.

The only ones I can find are Timeguards and similar, these seem to assume you don’t have power to the switch, and therefore are “on” all the time passing a small current through an incandescent bulb to power the timer, then switching the full load when the timer trips - so they aren't compatible with LEDs/CFLs.

I’m looking for replacements for standard light switches (1G and 2G) and also, if possible ones for grid switches, but I can’t seem to find anything suitable. Are there simple ones which take can use the power feed to run a timer and relay to switch the load, removing any issue with not being compatible with LEDs CFLs etc?

Any recommendations, or should I be looking for smart light switches - and if so, are they suitable for power to the switch and LED loads?

TIA!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Need clarification of what you mean by "power to the switch".
Every light switch has power to it, or it would not work.

Do you mean that there is a live and a neutral connection at the light switch, as well as the return (switched) live that goes to the light?

Yes, the live and neutral supply comes to the switch directly (not to the rose/light fitting), then a cable out to the light.

"Power to the switch" is quite a standard term (for new builds I've been involved with at least, our builders and sparkies both use the term) where the power drop from the CU comes to the switch first rather than to the rose, it's sometimes referred to as "supply to the switch".

Or more commonly "Loop(ing) at switch".

As has been pointed out, there is always power at the switch.

Sponsored Links
[rings bell]

What units is the power at the switch measured in?

[/and runs away]

:mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back