Time To Change My System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've convinced myself to go ahead & with seeking quotes for upgrading my current central heating system (CHS).

My current system is a mains pressured unvented type, consisting of a 10+year old Gloworm Complheat fuelsaver 55 (14kw) system boiler located in the ultility room - this feeds 18 radiators (inc 2 towel rails) & provides heat to a 180 ltr IMI Waterheating Tribune premier cylinder located in a bedroom wardrobe. Current controls are a wireless thermostat (Honeywell CM927) & a Drayton Lifestyle LP722 programmer that's working the HW side - both wired into a relayed control centre feeding the 3 port mid-position valve.

I've inherited the main system above when buying the property some 2 years ago... ever since it's had numerous plumbers out to fix breakdowns...PRV's leaking, bolier pressure vessel shot, blowing TPRV valve on the cylinder, now luke warm hot water every day & mediocre heat through all rads..etc etc.

So I'm calling it a day & decing to replace the system with new - my chosen system is a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 624 (24kw) system boiler feeding a 210 ltr vaillant Unistor cylinder all wired through a VR65 wiring centre controlled by a wireless 360f CH & HW thermostat.

What I'd appreciate is your comments/recommendations on my chosen system in terms of will it work more efficiently than my current system? - will my gas bills reduce? will I receive many years peace of mind trouble free central heating/water?, will it add value to my property to potential buyers should I sell in a few tears time?

Also ( & I appreciate we don't quote certain pricings/costing) - but I'm looking for a rough guide as to what to budget (borrow from the bank) for this new system....don't wish to borrow too much or too little - so any guidence for this would relaly help at this stage for a full supply & fit or fit only - I've already trawled the web for the main "big Parts" ; boiler, flue, cylinder, heating controls & these can be purchased retail at a few quid under £2k....so if we assume it's a relatively straightforward job of replace existing system with new (all existing piping should be ok? with exception of a few pipe end tweeks to fit different positions on new cylinder & boiler, tundish etc) powerflush, inhibitor & commission system.....how much more on top of the £2k parts should I really be budgeting for??.

Finally, do any of you know of or recommend any skilled, customer centric, quality driven, proud & caring professionals that would be willing to do this work this side of 2007 & given I reside in NG17 (north notts area)?

Many thanks for reading & any helpfull advice is greatly appreciated (assuming you're still awake after reading such an epic post)

Sponsored Links
Finally, do any of you know of or recommend any skilled, customer centric, quality driven, proud & caring professionals that would be willing to do this work this side of 2007 & given I reside in NG17 (north notts area)?
Such a dilligent professional is likely to want to supply as well as install.

WarHammer said:
how much more on top of the £2k parts should I really be budgeting for??.

Shed loads, & expect plenty of attitude, them Heato's get a right Monk On if you know what your talking about, & should anything be slightly not as planned, it will be your fault & they will wander off down the pub till you go & get 1 new 15mm Olive ........ Ok I'm Negative ....... Hang on I'm a realist :eek:

I'm hoping gas4you might reply - seen his previous posts advocating similar set-ups with the vaillant systems.

still hoping someone might be willing to do the job as either supply & fit or fit only & provide me the relative quotes after calling-in for a site survey - just don't seem to be many in the phone book with the G3 ticket or vaillant install training

Sponsored Links
you'll be looking at about 4.5k all in i expect.

your initial research is fine but dont hit the installer with "I can get the materials for x amount" because they'll likely turn and walk away.

By all means specify the boiler/cylinder/controls but let the installer supply and fit. If you are happy to pay their quoted price then fine. It makes for a better installer/customer relationship and makes the job more pleasant for all involved.

Thanks for that penpusher....seems I may need to be budgeting more than I initially expected - had a figure in mind around the 3.5k mark.

If the installers do a full supply & fit, would many be willing to share some of the difference between the installers trade purchase costs versus the customers recommended retail prices? - what I mean is for example....say a boiler rrp price is 1k to me - but an installer can pick-it up for say 700 quid - would many be willing to go fifty fifty on the difference... so they get 150 & I'd save 150 against rrp? - that way there's a perceived "win-win" all round & they get to supply & fit.....as apposed to just fitting & all the job's profits have to be made on the labour rates?

Hope you catch my drift without me breaking forum rules???

Me in a more constructive note, would buy the bits & say ...... How much ya want to fit that mate ?

Thanks John M - all ur posts raise a smile :)

I'm tending to agree with you on this maybe a how much to fit approach may be the preferred option.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not a tight@\**......I understand the need for the installer to make a profit, but within deemed reason (which will vary from person to person) - to me the it makes sense for installers to supply parts at cost plus - but less than rrp (seeing as there is still profit margin trade costs versus retail price) + a proportionate mark-up on the labour costs to ensure a total nett profit that is perceived by all as reasonable. To ask a customer to pay more than rrp for the parts doesn't make commercial selling sense, as I'd have thought not many customers would be willing to pay more than rrp - otherwise we see far more "fit-only" jobs with the customers all doing the main parts supply??

Maybe this is going convo is going down a different debate - but hopefully the spec of my kit (to get back on track) will do the things I'm hoping for & achieve the main aim/objectives for doing a complete system change - all be it installed at a mutually agreeable cost - does anyone know any one that can come round & quote & if agreeable do the work??

Thanks

WarHammer said:
Also ( & I appreciate we don't quote certain pricings/costing) - but I'm looking for a rough guide as to what to budget (borrow from the bank) for this new system.
:rolleyes:

You should be asking people you know, not a bunch of strangers on a web site.

seeing as there is still profit margin trade costs versus retail price
Not much.

If I turn up to fit your boiler at £x00 a day, and it's faulty, you still have to pay me the same rate to sit around while YOU sort out a replacement boiler, or someone from the manufacturer to come.

Hm. I missed that little gem. Definitely a tight git.

Nowt wrong wiv being a tight git ....... :eek:

Now being from Yorkshire ...... Thats a different kettle of fish :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back