time to renounce religion..

Banning religion is just a step beyond telling people how they should practise their religion. Telling people how they can express themselves then becomes telling people what they can and cannot express, which ultimately leads to the banning of independent thought, it's a natural progression....

I've never said you are evaluating any evidence wrongly. That would assume that I knew all about you and how you were evaluating specific evidence. I also never said there was any evidence, simply that there may be some. As I said, I'm debating hypothetical, theoretical points, not trying to persuade anyone to any particular worldview except to agree that essentially all worldviews are valid to those who hold them - assuming that anyone wants to agree with that. Belief by definition requires the absence of hard proof, otherwise it wouldn't be belief.

I thought this was a DIY fourm, I wasn't expecting to have to provide evidence to prove one way or the other the existence of God or any other deity, and I haven't suggested I was going to - sorry if you believed otherwise. I'm having a theoretical discussion, as in the tone of the OP - we're not going to "renounce religion", it's not going to happen, it's a hypothetical point prompting a theoretical discussion. I think you maybe have some other point you're trying to make....?

Sponsored Links
As Gasman said in as many words, my main gripe with certain religions is when ‘they’ start killing people in the name of it.

Sponsored Links
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

Got to be one of the all time classic film lines :LOL:

I think the poiniancey of it, in line with this thread is the scene where Brian is being begged by his followers to leave them a sign, to demonstrate that he is the true messiah. He unwittingly leaves two, the gourd and the shoe. These tokens are picked up by different factions as the true sign.
Thence begins the schisms. The devotees follow their own token as the true path. Then the hatred begins.
As they say, the rest is history.
Flipping brilliant

If people that belive in religion say there is a better life after death why is it wrong to kill them? also why do they stay in this life if there next life will be much better?

also why do they stay in this life if there next life will be much better?

Many Muslims strap themselves with explosives knowing when the detonater is triggered they will be in heaven and eternal utopia.
Of course it makes them feel all the more satisfied knowing many infidel's will be "taken out" also.

I think it was one of the Iranian sieges in some embassy or other where some of the Muslims were executed and when their turn came they willingly kneeled down in front of the executioners gun with no fear of death.

While waiting for this feed to download, I have just seen a google ad banner for the Church of Scientology - What's going on here then?

Cheers

you name it there is a faith to it here :LOL:

if you go straight across stratton onto elizabeth there are at least 40 churches chapels meeting halls etc all devoted to something slightly different

only prob i have with religion is its a personal thing

i don't want others beliefs shoving down my throat

FWIW i'm an agnostic :LOL:

I thought this was a DIY fourm, I wasn't expecting to have to provide evidence to prove one way or the other the existence of God or any other deity, and I haven't suggested I was going to - sorry if you believed otherwise. I'm having a theoretical discussion, as in the tone of the OP - we're not going to "renounce religion", it's not going to happen, it's a hypothetical point prompting a theoretical discussion. I think you maybe have some other point you're trying to make....?

I think you're stating the obvious, it is a general discussion forum where we can all put our points across. The point I was making was that there is no evidence at all for any god, glad to see you don't disagree.

I think you're stating the obvious, it is a general discussion forum where we can all put our points across. The point I was making was that there is no evidence at all for any god, glad to see you don't disagree.

No Sooey, I'm not saying that. I am saying that I haven't seen any evidence. Slightly different. I think you're saying that too. I'm sure you don't disagree on that.

I’m not so sure I would want to see them renounced as such because they could have a place for the very reasons they were ‘invented’ in the first place…

We have no way of knowing but I like to think that the origins of religion came from good. How do you cope with the loss of a loved one? How do you tell someone who has lost a child that they are just to become ‘worm food’ and that is all? Indeed, how do to you tell a child who has lost a parent the same thing?

Not everyone can cope with the notion of being here just for the moment, in this ephemeral life, and to this end I don’t think religions are quite the demon many paint. It’s just that all religions are bas_tardised and distorted to suit people for greed, control or some self gain.

An Atheist world may seem like a better place but I’m not sure what would replace this ‘opium for the masses’? I personally live with the loss of my brother every day, and every day the memories of his short life and the pain he endured haunt me. Sometimes, for some people, the only release from the mental torment is when you die yourself but I have seen such incredible strength from people who have a faith to hold onto through desperate times.

I confess I go to churches and cathedrals, not to pray but to escape the rat race for a while and think of the people who are, and have been, important in my life. I count my blessings, of which there are many. I think of the people around the world who are suffering in a way most of us can only imagine. To others it may look like I am praying but I am just distancing myself from distraction or sometimes shielding a tear from others.

It may seem strange that an atheist does this but it’s a place of solace where I can put things into perspective and regain a sense of purpose to it all. There will be nothing of me after I am gone, and I couldn’t care less about that. But a part of me will live on in the people I have helped or hearts I have touched, in the same way my late brother and mum continues to be a positive force and influence in my life.

And that’s about as close to any religion I’m ever going to get. Hope it wasn't too deep for here...

No Sooey, I'm not saying that. I am saying that I haven't seen any evidence. Slightly different. I think you're saying that too. I'm sure you don't disagree on that.

Fair comment, though you might think that after having thousands of years to come up with some, and still having to fall back on the "faith" angle, the major religions are a bit tardy.

Sponsored Links
Back