Timing belt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Told by my garage that the timing chain belt is slack, needs replacing, and the job will cost £1000. My car is a 1998 Saab 95 2.3 auto. This sounds a bit pricey - any views from people with a better understanding of mechanics than I do?

The symptoms are a throaty noise (almost as if the exhaust needs replacing) when I apply power, and it seems that the power isn't what it was. It goes through the gears just as smoothly though.

Would really appreciate some help of anyone who can help.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, is it a chain or a belt, can't be both. I'm pretty sure on the 2.3 its a chain, but never worked on one.

It really depends how much work is involved in replacing the chain, usually the chain is designed to last the life of the engine with no recommended replacement interval, therefore access is sometimes tricky and could necessitate engine removal. Where as timing belts do need replacing every X miles so access is usually easier.

Quite likely that a chain tensioner has failed which is causing the problem.

Probably a chain and any tensioners would be well over £100, plus labour involved which if the engine need to come out will be quite a lot. £1000 does seem a bit pricey, but perhaps someone with Saab knowledge may be able to guide you a bit more.

I'd get it sorted ASAP as chain failure will be catastrophic for your engine.

cheers

CJ

Sponsored Links
These engines suffer from wear in timing chain/tensioners. take off cam cover to expose chain,chances are you can pull chain up easily by hand- you will see how slack it is.This causes valve timing to be off making engine run poorly.Before too long chain etc. will fall off causing big damage.You should be able to get this done under £500

Back