Tiny amount of flex in shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently fitted a 1200x800 stone resin shower tray as per the instructions which was 10mm ply and 15mm mortar mix. Its one of the sloping ones with a fair bit of meat to it

Half way into the job trying to level it up I realised the tray wasn't perfectly flat one of the corners, it wasn't out by much and only quite close to the corner but I was striving for perfection. After the hassle of changing it once already I decided to go ahead and lay it anyway and after testing it with water it all flows nicely.

About a week later when i'm finishing a few bits off I notice the corner that was a bit low has a hairline crack int he mortar about 6" from the end just under the shower tray and when i press on the corner of the shower tray the gap closes up, it must only be a few thou that it is moving.

Now I'm tempted to leave it as the rest of the tray is absolutely solid as a rock, and it is at the opposite end of the tray where you get in and out, and when the shower screen is up you won't even tread near that corner.

Has anybody else had anything similar or could give me some advice? Can I get away with it?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
I thought about that but instead I've dug a little bit of mortar out and pumped in some loctite metalset, it sets as hard as nails so tomorrow I will see how it fairs up. I know its a bit of a bodge but it was hardly moving anyway, you couldn't see or feel it by looking at it or standing on it, it was only when you looked at the hairline crack in the mortar where I had pointed the edge.

I'm pretty sure a plumber or bathroom fitter wouldn't of even noticed it and just carried on with the install.

Sponsored Links
Daft question, but what is under the 10mm ply, and how did you fix it down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back