Tiny bit of floor tiling - newbie questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have read gcol's helpful FAQ post but wonder if anyone can help me with a question...

I have to extend some existing floor tiling by a tiny amount (max 100mm) so that I can replace a bath panel which sits back a bit further than the old one.

The existing tiles are laid on plywood over chipboard flooring and have been very solid for years with no issues.

I'm using an adhesive which says to use in a thin layer (max 3mm). I have ply but can't get to the right level with this alone. I have some hardboard which would bring things up to the right level. I know that hardboard (I mean this rather than hardiboard) is frowned on as a substrate.

Would it be OK in these particular circumstances as I don't think it's flexibility is an issue here as it will be screwed through the ply to the chipboard? If so, would I be better to put it under or on top of the ply? The adhesive says to use a PVA primer which I will of course.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back