Tiny Cracks after skimming platerboard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have skimmed quite a few walls before, but yesterday, I skimmed our entrance hall and have noticed very tiny cracks appear everywhere.

I have seen this before when I skimmed an old wall and presumed it was because i did not use enough PVA, but this was straight to plasterboard, which usually comes out perfect.

The only thing that i can think of was that although the room is heated and generally warm and dry, i plastered it with the front door open and thinking that the cold air may have caused it?!

Does this sound likely?

Thanks,

L

Sponsored Links
I have been trying to find a picture of the cracks that have appeared, but having no luck. My camera isn't good enough to show them either, but as you look at them, they sort of appear as a 'marble' effect.

Sounds like it dried out too quick, suction/draught..... If it's sound enough, give it a coat of pva to seal it,, let it dry,,,, pva again,,, and then re-skim.

Roughcaster.

Thanks Roughcaster.

What do you think the chances of it falling off will be? The plaster doesn't feel like its falling off and actually feels ok. But i don't want it peeling off in a couple of weeks/months after I have put the skirting boards, coving and arcatrave on.

Sponsored Links
It's hard to say what the chances are of your plaster falling off. From what you're saying, it sounds ok, but you'll get a much better idea by tapping/testing it. Just because it has tiny cracks in the surface where it dried out too quick,,, possibly through draught/suction,,, doesn't mean it is not well bonded to the plasterboard. You could test a "small"area with a scraper or something, to find out how well it is "stuck on",,, or not. If it is ok, give the wall a coat of PVA to seal it, and let it dry completely. Then PVA once more and skim plaster straight onto it while it's wet/tacky. If on the other hand it does come away easily,, so be it. Take it all off, brush down the wall, and same as before,,,give it a PVA,,,then let it dry. PVA again then plaster as above,,,,,,,, plaster the wall without the draught, or too much heat,,,, the slower to dry the better,, within reason.....

Reading the end of your original post where you mention "cold air",,,,, as long as it wasn't freezing cold air.... Frost/freezing damage to a thin coat of plaster would be serious enough to ruin it permanently...... I don't think this about your job though,,,, but as I said,, try an area and see.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back