Tiny Tiny Cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my new house was covered in artex. I got the whole house plastered and overall happy. However when inspecting some of the walls in my bedroom, the artex seemed lose so when scraping the high points, the artex all came off leaving the old plaster/render which was very very dry.

I asked the plasterer before doing this wall whether the plaster would take or whether it would dry too quick and he said he'll use some sealer or something else.. . Anyway the walls dried super quick turning pink in a day whereas other walls taking a week.

I am now left with lots of tiny tiny cracks. I've tapped and plaster not coming away from the wall.

Plasterer is saying paint would cover it, or if I wanted could be reskimmed, or plasterboarded.

What should I do/be happy with/what is safe? The cracks seem too numerous and tiny to be filled - so I guess that leaves me with painting or re-skimming? Dont really want to plasterboard...

IMG-20200208-151932.jpg

IMG-20200208-151934.jpg

IMG-20200208-151951.jpg

IMG-20200208-151920.jpg

Sponsored Links
That does not look good, get another plasterer in to get a second opinion. Plaster cracks like that if it dries too quick,, (suction, heat etc),, paint will not cover that at all,, it'll always looked "cracked",, get it looked at!!

Hi all, thanks - the mist coat took well - I just applied to see how it would look and its covered everything even with a watery mist coat.

Im pretty sure I could get the guy to come back and reskim for me - but this will take time and then further time for plaster to dry.... Is there any better long term benefit etc to reskimming vs just painting and leaving?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The skim has dried too quickly because he hasnt controlled the suction properly.
If you're sure it has adhered properly its you're call.

I had plastering done to my extension last oct 2019 and noticed some of these cracks as well, they weren't everywhere. The builder just painted over them with retail leyland white emulsion, its jul 2020 and no signs of cracks appearing anywhere.

tap it with the back of your fingernails,
if it sounds loose or hollow you will end up eventually with it blown and bigger cracks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back